Light spectrum?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Shifty23, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Alright probably a noob question, its my first grow. I got some seeds not knowing what was what and decided to start out with 2 of them. One turned out to be a sativa one indica. The sativa is growing much taller and leaner compared to the shorter bushier indica so there's a bit of a height difference. So ive been growing with 4 cfls mounted onto one socket switch but now that the height is getting so much different i thought id give them each their own light. The new lights i have have like a hood on them one is a bluish tint the other is white. Im wondering if this is going to throw off the light spectrum at all with these hoods reflecting the light? First pic was previous setup then the other 2 are current. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. The consensus is that "Daylight" (6500k I think) is better for veg, while the "Soft White" (2700k?) is better for flower.

Either way they're gonna grow a plant just fine if you have enough power... and yes they can be used together.

No the reflector won't change the spectrum either

• Like Like x 1
  3. You can mix the spectrum in flower and veg with out any problems . its actually better to have a full spectrum .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeah 6500k is best for veg.

OP, Reflector does exactly that, reflects the light rather than wasting it, even if it changes the tint of it, it's still beneficial, but not necessary. Btw, those types can trap a good amount of heat under them despite the small holes they put at the top usually. The plant will choose how much light from each spectrum is absorbed, if that makes sense...

• Like Like x 1
  5. That's debatable, but I'd have to agree, in my experience with t5s and t8s, using one of each did seem to help growth compared to running two 6500ks... Tho I'm not entirely sure the reasoning behind it :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Only way to know is for a person to try it. Lot of people I know put 1. 400 watt mh7200k per 5000 watts of HP's . they say it brings out the quality. Me I'll throw a 10000k bulbs on top of them a week before there done works best for me.