light schedule 24/0 versus 18/6

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by get5007, Jul 13, 2008.

1. I am going to be growing a sour diesel seed for a mother plant. What should the light cycle be? Is a longer light cycle better?

2. I'm not sure if one is better than the other or not dude. I think it's up to personal preference.

I have my veg plants under floros with 24/7 lighitng. Then I have a flowering cabinet with HPS on 12/12.

I started out with my floros on 18/6.....but moved it up to constant light so they would grow faster.

I think that giving them darkness just slows them down a little bit. So it's up to you. If you have heat issues or time issues or whatever....then use a timer.

3. yep i would go for 24/7 you can get up to 30%more growth that way.

4. 24/7 hands down 18/6 is gimmick bullshit with no benefits.

5. This might sound weird (I am a 24/0 grower), but with a mother plant under florescent lights, it wont make much difference. Fast growth for a mom plant is not what most people need (some do). Slow sustainable growth is all you need for moms. If they explode in mass growth, then you will have to keep trimming and feeding. This might be fine if you need 40 clones a month. Most of us need three to six cuttings every three months. Yet another reason I don't recommend hydro for mom plants.
    Clones and moms will do fine under 18/6.

I keep the lights on 24 hours in my clone/mother room. But I use that room to root clones into 6" net pots as well. I need fast growth at that point.

6. thanks for all the input. I think I may switch over to 24/0 for awhile to see what happens. It has only been in the soil for two days now. But will leaving the light on for 24/0 make it have more chance of being one sex over another. And will switching the light cycle right now possibly screw with it? making a hermie or something