Light question?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Cloud10_2003, Jun 14, 2012.

1. i have 2 cfls 29 watt will that be enough for one plant? and also what times do you guys like to keep the lights on because im thinking about keeping it on during the night and turning it off when i go to sleep at like 12a.m but im gonna leave my window open during the day with a small fan with a carbon filter on it blowing air out for the smell so will the window light effect my plants sleeping time?

2. When using CFL lighting the reccomended amount of light is 100 actual watts of CFL light for the first plant and an additional 50 watts for additional plants. So if using 26 watt daylight CFL`s you would need about 5 of them. I run my lights on a 18/6 light schedule. During the lights off cycle you dont want any other light hitting the plant, you want it in complete darkness.

3. thank you so much that answered all of my questions & im only going to have one plant. no cloning or nothing. & i was also going to do 18/6 so lets say i turn on the lights when i wake up at 6a.m then i turn it off at 12am that will work out good?

4. that will work as long as you can be there to manually turn it on and off, I think I heard something about if the hours are inconsistant it can generate more males.. I mean u can get a timer for like 10 bucks or so. might be worth the investment?

R2

5. Definitely get the timer. Growing without one would be a huge pain in the ass, and would result in a screw up at some point.

6. yea i can be there to turn it off and i have a time around my house somewhere...i have another question? making a growbox out of cardboard?

7. It can be done. Refridgerator, washer or dryer boxes make good ones. My nephews have used those before. There was a guy here who gutted out an old washing machine and made a grow box out of it.

8. I wouldn't use cardboard. Paper products + water + electricity = bad things. That's just my .02

9. im not going with the cardboard lol ...but another question i have is...im using 2 23 watt cfls now until it sprouts because i dont want it to be like too much light on it is that cool? when i see some leaves forming ill put int he other 2 bulbs.

10. I start seedlings and clones off under 1 or 2 26 watt daylight cfl`s for the first week or so.

11. ok thanks ill go with that method then that was like my last question other than the watering things which ill find out on my own lol i can now say i started an official first grow ::yay:

12. Congrats and good luck on ur grow.

13. Awesome, do you have pics? As was said before you'll want at least 100w of CFL(I did 3 ladies under 125w CFL for 51 days Veg and they were fine).

A timer is well worth the $10 investment, I would highly recommend picking one up and save yourself the hassle of having to make sure you're home at the exact time to turn it on and off. It's not worth growing for 3 months just to have them hermie on you because of traffic.:smoke:

Good luck!

14. im going to go get a timer when i get some more money...not really a timer but it was like a phillips extension thing that you put a time on it and it turns on and off but i just calculated i have 86 watts right now but i probably have an extra cfl laying around that ill connect to the others when it sprouts

15. You can probably get away with 86w, just don't expect killer buds.

16. im not gonna go with just 86 though lol but how long should i wait for my seed to sprout because i put it in yesturday at 12pm and turned it off at 1 am just cause i was going to sleep woke up today turned it on at 6 and im turning it off at 12...also the soil was dry just now so i added some water.

17. Plants like consistency. A timer is what u need. I use 3 of them for my grow and I couldn't do without them.

18. i got a timer lol...quick question though...i overwatered a seed and like killed it and dug through the soil to get it out...never found it but like if i planted a germinated seed does it need light? or do i just leave it there in the wet soil until it sprouts?

19. From what I have seen on the forums, most put germinated seed (little "J" shaped tap root showing) into the soil about 1/2 inch deep...in a party cup... and place it under 2 cfl 23watt lights (daylight 6500K) with the light approx. 2 inch above the cup...then do NOT let it dry out and wait for your seedling to show herself...that seems to be the average response for your question on this forum.
    Hey...GOOD LUCK to you!
    Cheers!

20. Party cup is like a 12 ounce plastic cup...comes in red, blue etc...punch some holes in bottom for drainage, fill with your soil mix...wet it and let it drain for like 10 minutes....make small hole with a pencil into the soil about 1/2 inch deep...place seed (tap root at bottom) in and cover...spray mist the soil top and place under those lights.
    Cheers!