Light Question - Possible HPS/MH Alternative?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by emax420, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Hi all:

I was wandering ebay as I so usually do and came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3186&item=2382872096

They say it works as well as a 500w HPS system, but then they tell you it gives out 8,000 lumens. I know that a 250w HPS should give out somewhere around 25,000+, correct?

But, beyond all that...our setup is going to be running about 15-20 plants, would 8,000 lumens be enough? I already have an HPS system on the way, I'm just wondering if it was 100% worth the investment.

2. if it only puts out 8,000 lumens, you will need a larger light.

you made the right choice in the HPS system. you get a great specturm and high intensity over a larger area.

3. u can make your flourecent light... bulbs are cheap....and they fit in normal house lamps...

4. Actually as I was re-reading the auction, they said it gives out 500w (worth of light), not as much light as a 500w HPS. It says it gives out 8,000 lumens and we know a 400w HPS gives out upwards of 50,000. So yeah, that light is weak. Stick with the HID baby.

5. Yeh, a 250 watt has a 28,000 lumen output at full burn.
    That light is definitely a shrimp versus even a 150-watt hps.

Edit- for 15-20, you'll want lights spaced evenly over the plants to give equal distribution of the light. How much you want to spend on the lights, and how much light you feel you need, is going to decide how many / what strength of lights you'll want to get. I'd say go with 2-3 400's or 600's...

6. its just a overpriced compact fluro in a cheap tacky box.

wud make an interesting porch light i spose.