Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

Light problem

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by deks23, Apr 25, 2006.

1. I had some plants under 2 fluros and they doing orite then i moved them in the shed and put 1 under a 400 watt sodium it seems to have stunted its growth and some of the leaves turned yellow What am i doing wrong:confused:
    And also is 400 watt enough light for 4x5 feet of space

2. Space is irrelevant. If you have just one plant put it directly under the light and that should be fine. I suspect light is not your problem. I suspect if they were indoors, then moved to outdoors and you then noticed the problem, then they are probably temperature stressed.

3. ive heard of plants who stop growing after being moved to a HPS from some CFLs or whatever. i dont remember if they eventually took, but it'd recognmend NOT using the HPS for veg anyway, and investing 30 bucks at 1000bulbs and get two 55w CFLs that'll veg a real nice plant for your 400wHPS to flower. peace

4. Why do you recommend not using a 400w hps for veging??

5. so HPS produces a red spectrum of light that mj loves during flower. during veg, the blue light is less intense and better on young seedlings. also because the blue light is better for your plant, the nodes will be closer, giving you more branches and ultimatly more buds :) it'd recognmend checking out the lighting section of the grow journal thats gotta be around here somewhere...

6. alright ill check that out

7. if leaves are turning yellow id take a look at the nute mix. Maybe your plants have already exhausted the nutes in the soil (if using any) When flowering they require a lot of nutes in the proper proportion. If not yet into flowering id say N deficiency. Any leafs geting wrinkled and falling off the plan???

Currently on my first grow
    4x39 daylight Osram Fluoros hung up in chains, some old school twist, jeje.
    4 Indicas
    6 Sativas
    .5 g/L of "triple 17 plus" (17-17-17 N-P-K and some micrconutes)
    .5 g/L of "nutriflor" (15-30-15 N-P-K)
    35 days 12-12

8. What?!?
    Sorry man. Sounds like crap to me. HPS will kick the ass of plants grown with fluoros even in veg. If you have the 400 watt HPS use that for veg man. They are great lights.

9. From what i know, the hps bulbs DO indeed put out a red spectrum that mj does INDEED love. But for veg, mj loves mh (puts out a blue spectrum). Either way, mh and hps can be used from seedling to harvest. Its just that more people use hps because its used for flowering.

10. To be clear, MH is excellent for veg but you don't want to use MH for flowering.

11. right. if you're only getting one light, get HPS. It can be used in either stage. If you can afford another lamp or a conversion bulb, then do MH for veg and HPS for flowering. A MH doesn't work real well for flowering.