Light placement (NOT ABOUT BULBS!!!!) and mylar

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by bassfishingboy, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Hello,
    Had a few thoughts this morning. Ok, I know mylar reflects and everybody uses it...but, what percent does it reflect?

Also, During budding is it more important to get the light at the leaves....or....the buds?

Depending on answers i'll have some ideas i might post.

During vegging, I had an idea to reduce light bulb use.

People are filling their roomes with mylar and shit, but what about the idea of takying a cylinder...and placing the bulb/bulbs (depending on plant size).....and run the tube all the way around the light as a cylinder with a mylar cap with jsut enough hole for cord and some venting.......then run that cylinder down and all the way around your plant like this...? This way all light is reflected in smallest amount of space and used...

-----ll-----
    l......^......l *DISRECARD THE PERIODS AS EMPTY AIR SPACE. MY first post was submitted, and GC removed empty spaces.
    l.....MM.....l
    l.....MM.....l
    l.....MM.....l
    l..............l
    l..............l
    l...\\..//....l
    l....\\//.....l
    l.\\..ll //...l
    l...\\ll//.....l
    -----------
    ^^^^^^^
    lllllDa potllllll
    or container

those MM's represent the CFL or light source and ..the bottom is the plant dummy!

LOL Anyhow, thats my ascii drawing. What do u think of the idea?

keeping the cylinder as small as possible and close as possible to the plant is the key point and close as possible..with even a possible taper on the light above to reduce the amount of space it has to travel and reduce the ammount of times it has to be reflected around and a complex matrix of angles till it reaches the leaves.

Thats my idea...back to homework..its 4:01 am

2. i think what your getting as is basically a cool tube reflector?

3. if you want to put a fan on it and use it as a cool tube go for it...

but, what i'm getting at is all about LIGHT REFLECTION and UTILIZATION of available light....keeping refection distances at a minimum, and the whole space enclosed so you dont LOSE LIGHT...

this is completely surrounding the light source as well as the plant remember, with no way to have light escape. Hell, i'm talkin even putting mylar on teh bottom of the pot on top of the soil so no light is absorbed by the soil either!!!

4. The plant will suffocate inside a tube like that.

5. agreed, you would need a pretty big and wide fuckin tube to make the plants grow correctly and even than, what you gonna do for heat issues? mylar is at least 95% reflective so it does the job.

6. well, you could put up a fan on the top to direct the head straight out...and you'd still be getting a large section of the light reflected back down..even if the top was open...