Light help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by yFrenZy, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Hello all,

The final week of veg is approaching for my first grow and I need some light advice. My budget is $100 for the light. I know I can get a good HID for $150 but I'm really trying to keep the cost down to $100 because I have to buy other supplies as well.

The reason it is $100 because I currently have two 4 bulb T8 fixtures I can convert to T5s. After accounting for the bulbs, new ballasts, and t5 sockets as well as a few other odds and ends thinks it will costs be between $60 - $90 for two lights and would be the equivalent to a little over 400 watts. These lights new go for anywhere between $80-$100. So I can refurbish my lights for around half the cost

My other option is buying a light on sale new off of Amazon. A few I was looking at are below

SYGAVLED 400W LED Grow Light - High Yield - Full Spectrum Indoor Hydroponic Plants Veg Bloom Panel Lamp

MarsHydro Mars300 LED Grow Light Full Spectrum ETL Certification Lighting for Hydroponic Indoor Greenhouse / Garden Plants Growing, 132W True Watt Panel

SPL Horticulture Stwk 1000 Hydroponic 400w Watt Grow Light Digital Dimmable Mh System for Plants Gull Wing Reflector Hood Set

What do you guys think?

2. I'm just using a spare room and don't have any ventilation at the moment and it isn't really an option. A 150w hps isn't really enough for what I'm doing

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. That's tough man...how hot do the summers get where you are? Even a 400 watt hps is gonna get pretty hot without adequate ventilation ...

I think your only practical option is LED. If I was gonna go LED, and I was on a budget, I'd go with Mars Hydro. Whatever you do, just don't go with the cheapest LED brand you can find. Lots of cheap, unreliable Chinese stuff out there. I've read many bad reviews on them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. In the summer the highs are 90s lows are mid 70s.. that's why I was thinking the T5s because of the low heat.

I do have fans running in the room but can't vent anything out

5. I may have missunderstood your OP. Are you considering flowering with t5?

6. Yes there would be 8 54w 2700k tubes

7. Also.. if I was to get a 300w mars hydro how many plants could that sustain.. 3-5?

8. I would guesstimate 2 per light, but don't hold me to that.

Btw, don't even consider flowering with t5 if you have the ability to get LEDS

9. Well with the t5 I could get 430w vs. 300w with LED for same price

10. I would say 1 Mabey 2 but I have never used one.....

11. #12 StarLitSky, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017

The biggest problem will be light penetration. Now I'm not saying you can't grow good bud with fluorescents, I'm just saying the quality/weight will suffer.

With t5 you are gonna get about 4-6 inches of light penetration.

You definitely need LEDs.Unless you are going to do a small stealth grow. Keep your t8 for veg

Edit: the wattage may be similar but I don't think the lumens put out will not even be close.with fluorescents, you don't use the 'equivalent Wattage' you go by the actually Wattage.

12. Hi yFrenZy
    The coverage of Mars 300 is 2'x2', the true watts is about 130w, it is not big light, so two plants is the maximum, most growers only grow one plant under it.