light for my clones

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by meuni011, Oct 15, 2011.

1. so i just cut a bunch of clones like ten, ive read direct light is not good for the babies so i actually put them ontop of my 600 watt hps ontop of the hood.... so they get indirect light and i actually put a towel underneith the tray that almost acts as a heating pad... but as of now everyones drooping but it is only like 6 hours from being cut... any opinions are greatly appreciated on the working nature of this contraption or if i should bring it upstairs throw it under a cfl ?? thanks and happy smokinnnn

2. #2 Swills, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2011
    I had an old 10 gallon fish tank that I turned into my cloner. I bought 2 reptile heat pads and stuck them to the bottom of the tank. I replaced the light with a light that was closest to veg K, 4000k if I remember right, and that fish tank light is perfect for clones. Not at all strong, just right. Just cover the tank with the fish tank lid or some sort of saran wrap, put some water in the tank, and cover up. Put the light on a veg timer and you're good to go

Good call on not exposing the clones to 600 watts :laughing:

3. Dont know much about cloning under HPS but I do know that most folks say that florescents are better for clones. Probably a matter of opinion. I do know that I only use CFLs. Even with those though, I have to move my lights away from them in the beginning because it tends to be too strong for them. I can usually tell when the leaves start to close like a taco. They also wilt a bit at first but they straighten up in a few hours. If not, its usually because they are too dry. Thats just my 2cents.

4. thanks guys there actually doing quite well so far.... 12 hours in im keeping my fingers crossed

5. ps swills i very much like that idea hmmmm