light distance

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TATtheHOOD, Jan 25, 2013.

1. I have a 600w MH in my closet. Its at about 25 in away right now. I saw a chart online saying it could be up to 31 inches away. My temps are high at about 83 f right now at leaf level. So if I could go to 31 inches away I think I could cut back a cpl degrees. I guess I'm asking everyone's opinion. Its my first grow and I don't wanna fuck it up because I may have read bad info about light distance. I have a 600w HPS but I was saving it for flower. But if that's gonna cut back more on the temp I might have to swap it. All opinions are welcome
    :smoking:

2. Well I guess I'll just see what happens...

3. Are you running fans to circulate air? If not try to get the air moving, should help. You will have the same temps on a HID bulb.HPS or MH, just run the MH and move air.
    AnUfF

4. I've got an oscillating fan and a 240cfm exhaust fan connected to the hood. Do the distances that I listed sound correct to u?

5. #6 anuffstuff, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
    Yeah...keep your eye on plant stretch.You should be good though.I'm running 400's qabout 15-18 inches with no problem.
    AnUfF

6. If your having temp problems you may want to look into air cooled hoods

7. 83 isn't high temps, 85 is "get'n high" temps 90 is very high temps 95 is too high temps.:smoking:

8. Yeah I've been looking but I've met my budget for this grow...lol. but I'm consistent at about 83 right now and my babies seem to be handling it just fine. So for this grow I think it should be good. But yeah I've def been lookin into a cool tube. Will my HPS burn cooler than the MH? I've heard ppl say yes and ppl say no. Just wondering Ur advice.

9. Be sure to look at rectangular air cooled hoods, cooltubes have some minor flaws that air cooled hoods don't. Like fayn2 said, your temps aren't bad, but it's always nice getting your light closer.

MH bulbs usually burn hotter than HPS bulbs, not by too much though

10. Cool thanks everyone for Ur advice. I guess I'll just lay back and monitor everything. And most of all :smoke:

11. Is your exhaust fan sending the heat out of the room?

12. I would think it has to be. Its connected to the hood.

Attached Files:

13. Be sure to put them right under the light. I'd get a fan to blow past the plants and bulb so the hot air blows into your exhaust

14. U mean like on the far end of the wall? Because I have the one fan blowing towards the plants. I guess I could reorganize and reposition that fan on the other side of the plants and hood. U think that would be beneficial?

15. Exactly and it's definitely worth a try!

16. Sweet...I will do that tomorrow and update. Thanks again for the help.

17. Not a problem, looking forward to the update :smoke:

18. [quote name='"TATtheHOOD"']

I would think it has to be. Its connected to the hood.[/quote]

Yea, but does it exhaust in to an attic, crawlspace, window or is it just exhausting back in to the same room that your grow is in?

19. Oh it exhausts into an attic. Sorry I misunderstood you.