light cycles

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by juggalo419, Sep 15, 2012.

1. I was wondering if I can take my white widow from the 18/6 light cycle and revert BACK to continuous light 24/7? I've been on the 18/6 cycle for about 2 weeks now but I feel giving her all the light she can take will only do her good. I gave her a slight bend the other day in hopes of stress training the plant. I want her to get big and strong so hopefully going back to 24 hr light won't hurt her!

2. I think there is a lot of debate out there which will argue either for or against 24/7 light as being better or worse than them having a short dark period. Some will say the dark period helps for root growth and others claim that canibus does not need a rest. Otherwise, as long as its vegging, giving them light 24/7 will work just fine and will not hurt your plant. If you do that I will just advise to gradually drop it down to 12/12 when you start flowering. Meaning maybe give them a few days to a week of 18/6 before flowering to gradually put them into flowering like the real sun would do instead of going from 24/7 directly to 12/12.

3. [quote name='"rizzo30"']I think there is a lot of debate out there which will argue either for or against 24/7 light as being better or worse than them having a short dark period. Some will say the dark period helps for root growth and others claim that canibus does not need a rest. Otherwise, as long as its vegging, giving them light 24/7 will work just fine and will not hurt your plant. If you do that I will just advise to gradually drop it down to 12/12 when you start flowering. Meaning maybe give them a few days to a week of 18/6 before flowering to gradually put them into flowering like the real sun would do instead of going from 24/7 directly to 12/12.[/quote]

But will going from my current 18/6 cycle BACK to full 24/7 hurt her/stress her out?

4. No, it will not hurt or stress your plant as long as it is vegging. To put it simple, your plant is in the veg stage so no, it will not hurt your plant. You can do that if you want to.

5. I concur. Ive been doing 24/7 light for about 3.5 weeks now and am going to do a 2-3 day cycle of 18/6 exactly as you described. I'm doing a PC grow and one thing I have noticed is that the 24/0 light cycle has helped the plant stay bushy and short which is perfect for me. It's doing great! Anyways, yeah, do a gradual transition into 12/12 :)

6. IMO everything alive needs some time to rest weathers it 2-4-6 hours...and your weight when your done will not transition well to your light bill with 6 added hours in the days, its basically a waste IMO, 20 more grams maybe for this added 6 hours of light bill, is it worth it lol

7. In your opinion, is it worth going back to 24/7? I bent it the other day and the nodes are just starting to come in, I hope to see sex soon!

8. I do 18/6 for vegging and it works fine. In most places in this world it is not natural to have light 24/7 unless you live near the poles during the summer. Otherwise to me its more natural to have a short dark period. It also allows you to give things a break during the peak of the day when things are at their hottest.

9. She's not doing too bad on this cycle I just figured the more light, the more nodes. But then again this is my first grow and I don't know what to expect, just praying that it's a girl lol.

10. No, thats not true. I vegged two plants on a 400 watt MH light with Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil in smart pots and my plants took off like bushes. Just about every node shot up for the top. I even gave them a six hour dark period and they went nuts. I think a little bit of rest can be good. It probably helps the root system grow which is what a healthy plant needs. Your two most important things are probably light and soil. Get the best light and soil you can get. From there your type of pot may make a decent difference also along with the nutes and water that you use.

11. Thank you for the advice, should be very useful to me.