Light Bulb

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by tony6r, Jun 14, 2014.

1. #1 tony6r, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
    Hey yall, I read guides on cfls but im paranoid that I might buy the wrong type of bulb. There are lots of cfls put there and I just want to make sure I have the right bulb because im on a really small budget. Can someone link me to some cheap 100 watt 6500k cfl bulbs I can use for my tent

Or can you list other cheap methods for lighting a grow tent about 3x3

2. #3 GoldGrower, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
  3. im lookin on home depot and all of there bulbs are equivalent bulbs

That just means the CFL gives off as much light as the equivalent of an "x" wattage incandescent light bulb. Incandescent bulbs are not suitable for growing so completely disregard that figure

5. #6 Thicken Dense, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2014

If you want an actual 100w cfl it's going to be around $25 each. Check around, you'll see. You did ask for cheap though, 100 actual watts of cfl shouldn't cost more than $15-$20 to assemble, and if it does then it's not really worth it IMO. Bulbs don't last forever and will have to be replaced, combined with the relative inefficiency of cfl, and the higher cost of those larger cfl's, really turns me off to them.

Considering that I built a 400w cfl array out of 26w bulbs for less than $20 per 100w, and I even consider that to be a waste of resources, I would never recommend those larger cfl bulbs to somebody who is on a budget and wants the most bang for their buck.
    Cheers and good luck!! :bongin:

cfl build1.jpg
    cfl build2.jpg

6. I understand, but I thought you CANT grow on incandescent bulbs? Maybe thats where I got it twisted, if im completely lost, im totally sorry lol. It happens

No problem. CFL's are widely used to replace incandescent household lighting and that's why the manufacturers place "equivalent" wattage next to the actual wattage. We ignore "equivalent" wattage and stick with the actual wattage of the bulb, the bulbs I'm talking about are 26w actual, 100w equivalent.

They're not equating it to HID or LED, but incandescent... so that distinction is useless to us growers. But that doesn't mean they're useless for growing, it just means that what they're comparing it to is.

In terms of lumens per watt, or the efficiency of your lighting it goes like this...
    Incandescent = 17 lumens per watt
    CFL = ~68 lumens per watt
    600w hps = 146 lumens per watt

So, a 100w incandescent bulb puts out 1700 lumens total.
    A 26w cfl puts out 1700 lumens total

26w cfl has the same luminous output of 100w incandescent.

• Agree Agree x 1