Lifestyle Experiments

Discussion in 'General' started by Mogwai, Jan 6, 2012.

1. I dunno about anybody else for sure but I'm willing to bet most people feel similar to how I do. I don't want to live my life confined to a single lifestyle. I mean, I don't mind since it seems somewhat unavoidable, but I also want to 'sample' as many other lifestyles as I can.

I've got a few things I want to do and I'm pretty committed to doing them. First off I'd like to go camping for an extended period of time (like over two weeks atleast). Do that live off the land shit. I know that probably sounds generic since I think a lot of people admire the idea of doing it themselves... but how many people actually do it? The only issue I have is that I'd need to buy a LOT of weed before setting out since I'd like to be high throughout the experience.. and it would take a while to save up the money to have that. I'd like to only bring enough food to last a few days though.

I'd also like to be a hobo for a little while (again, like 2-4 weeks). I wanna find a decent sized city that seems somewhat safe in my area and just live off of it for a little while. I wanna struggle like homeless people do. I know it would be shitty at the time and possibly dangerous but that's all part of what draws me to wanna experience it. People really do live like that everyday for almost their entire life. It's crazy to think about in a way, and I want to see what it feels like.

I want to be able to look at almost anybody and somewhat understand what it's like to live the way they do. I want perspective on a personal level. I know only doing something for a month isn't the same as actually living it for your whole life.. but I at least wanna know what PART of it feels like, if that makes sense.

Anybody else have any certain sorts of lifestyles they'd like to test out for a little bit of time? What would you wanna try? Are you content living in a single lifestyle (for those of you that do, which is the vast majority I'm sure) or do you feel like if you only live once you should try to broaden your experience as much as possible?

2. yea man, ive thought about similar stuff alot the last few years. I'd love to sell my car, buy a van and follow a band around for a tor or two (Furthur specifically)... once you eet people who are doing the kind of stuff we only dream of doing, and you see them happy as fuck, it makes you think twice about your own life and what it means to you. At least for me :confused_2:

3. As someone going to school for Anthropology, I completely understand where you're coming from. It's like doing field work. You find a culture, study it, infiltrate, and experience it firsthand. There is no better research when it comes to culture than living it.

When most people think of this kind of work though, they automatically think of living with tribes in Africa or South America. Learning the ways of an ancient and forgotten culture. However, in a city, there are a ton of cultures one could study as well. Homelessness is a good one. What kind of community exists? What kind of rules and structure are present? What's their livelihood? It's all very interesting stuff.

This probably isn't the aspect you were thinking about, but it's what came to mind immediately when I read your post. I want to experience culture and lifestyles vastly different from mine because I want to learn. I want to know instead of assume.

4. ehhh honestly i find the whole drug culture very interesting.

like drugs inc. kind of stuff.

i would also want to be a guerilla soldier or a monk.

tbh though i would only do all this stuff if i lived forever and was indestructible though.

these lifestyles we are discussing are pretty dangerous (or can get that way)

5. You won't have a grasp after two weeks. Listen to you, I want to find a safe area, I know it will be dangerous etc. You won't experience the real emotions or trial and tribulations these people do as you know "hey, only 5 more days left."

To me it just seems something you'd want to brag about.

6. dude watch the movie the human experience it's like what your saying. It's on Netflix instant

7. When i was a teenager i always wanted to save up some cash.
    and just start walking to there, y'know ol' anywhere.
    Experience life freely a littlemore. Sadly never did.

8. People who are living an committed, purposeful, lifestyle generally have little tolerance for "tourists".

9. [quote name='"ptg701"']People who are living an committed, purposeful, lifestyle generally have little tolerance for "tourists".[/quote]

This is exactly what I was thinking. I was homeless for awhile, that shit can get really sketchy really fast.

10. Yeah. Watch the Human Experience. Its aight.

Ive been wanting to do the homeless thing but my mom talked me out of it.

Im SO down for a few weeks in the mountains though. But i doubt my friends are down... lazy ass motherfuckers.

Where you at Mogwai? jw

11. Do it by yourself Herb. Having friends along kinda defeats the purpose anyways doesn't it?

I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail by myself when I was 19. Of course I wasn't always alone, there were other hikers but I wasn't connected to anyone. If I could do it over, I'd go alone again.