Life?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by capecoder, Apr 11, 2006.

1. i dont know if you are directing that towards me whatsthatsmell but ill anwser as if it is.

i agree that theres not a universal anwser to life, i like to think we all have our own anwsers.

as for searchers, i agree that we all are searching in one way or another.

"on this path effort never goes to waste, and there is no failure. even a little effort toward spiritual awareness will protect you from the greatest fear."

whatsthatsmell: how has your search the past year gone, has it provided any insights?

2. Every year I become stronger and more insightful.
    So I guess it is going well.
    However I'd base that on maturity and life-experiences.

3. there is a path where there is no coming or no going :p

4. I can't believe no one's mentioned the answer to the question "what is the meaning of life?" that was given by Douglas Adams in The Hithchhikers Guide: 43. It's not the answer I thought I was looking for, but it's an answer I can live with, if you can.

Nothing elitist about it. It's my own personal way of describing a certain way in which certain people deal with their questions about Life. It's not a club that only certain people can join. It contains not a bit of snobbery. I've never asked others to use the term. It's a label I use to help categorize people in my mind for my own sake. Like saying someone's a 'Partier', or a 'painter' or a 'hippie', saying that someone's a Searcher is just a label without prejudice, without elitism, without asking for anyone's approval. If you're finding elitist undertones in the label, they must be coming from your end, because to me, it's just a label. :cool:

5. Damn, thats the first meaningful new thought I've heard in at least a year. Fucking right dude

6. I'm not attempting to offend you.
    However you said you've only met 'Searchers' "here and there" over a number of years.
    I'm trying to make the point that everybody is a 'Searcher'.

You seem to have only met a few people that search for their place in life, which in my mind is a ridiculous statement, it's like saying you've only met a few people who are intelligent enough to ask questions about their existence when in fact every person does so.

7. Sure, everyone may be a 'searcher' by your definition, but my definition of a Searcher, and mind you, this is purely my own definition, my own label that I choose to use, regardless of whether or not you see the distinction, is someone who is on a deliberate journey to find meaning in their own lives. Sure, everyone searches, but not everyone does it deliberately. And not everyone uses the same thought processes on their journey. And when I say I've met a Searcher, it means that I've found someone with thought processes similar to the ones I was having in my own journey. It's like finding someone who gets me. And it's true that I've only found a few people with whom I have this in common, this sharing of spirit, of soul. When I do cross paths with them, there's just something about them that stands out, some look in their eyes, some subconscious non-verbal cue, or just the way they talk that tells me I've just crossed paths with another one. And the ensuing friendship is always intensely rewarding. A real and lasting bond is formed.

Just as I could sense that capecoder and Lebowski were Searchers by their writing, I can see by your writing that you're not. And it's not being elitist. It's just that we don't share that common thread. But don't worry; it's like that with most everyone I meet.:cool:

8. what you're saying is your definition is what gives it an elitist tone. you say that the few 'searchers' you've found are the ones who have thought processes similar to yours. if they don't have thought processes similar to yours, does that mean they are not searchers?

there is a common thread even though you say there is not because of your definition, people who share the same thought processes that you had when they are on their path.

9. I think this is our sticking point. I'm equating elitism with snobbery. That may not be part of your definition. Just what is your definition of elitism?

10. elitism:2.consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group.

your 'searchers' in your mind are those who share the similar "thought processes" as yourself.

that is as if those who are not in your group are not searchers and therefore those who are in your group indeed only are.

11. "Being."
    I'll take The Meaning Of Life for $400. :p

12. And as Leary once said, "You're as young as the last time you changed your mind."

Also, Rasta_Man pointed out that the human race has lost lot of meaning in their lives because survival (at least in the industrial countries) is no longer the main objective of the human species.

If you think about rabbits for a sec,
    and just imagine what would happen if you killed all the predators that ate the rabbits... What do the rabbits do? They have a lot of sex.

Ok I'm not sure where I'm going with that, but now that they're not battling nature to survive, they can focus on other things that give their lives meaning. Maybe meaning in life is evolving; perhaps there is no static and eternal meaning to existance. This makes the phrase "We just are" make bit more sense. We just "are" because a turn of events happened and now we are here, living according to what nature demands from us. Nature is our habitat and our social habitat and I guess anything that influences our lives. But then again, a sweatshop owner in China can remotely influence our lives, so I think that he must be accounted for if I am to base "meaning" off nature. So now I guess my conclusion is that meaning is not eternal and that it is based off the present interactions between people and their environment? lol.

13. Okay then, in the same vein, by calling someone my Friend, I'm being elitist? If that's true, then I'll go ahead and accept your definition, but I won't accept the negativity that it implies. Elitism... pshaw!:cool:

14. were here to live life as long as we can

just because were given the oppurtunity too, and we take it

15. Why are we here? Only you can answer that question.

And if you are living with someone else's answer, then you are their prisoner.

16. I kinda disagree with that. ^

We all build our views off other people's perspectives, whether living or deceased. I don't think following someone's philosophy is wrong either... we're all humans and there are many common experiences that we all share. Maybe what one guy said really resonates with how you live your life, the thing is, you either never realized it before or you were never able to fully express it.

I do agree that following someone's every footstep does close you off to other interesting perspectives kind of like how being incarcerated keeps you from knowing the outside world.

17. thank you 4ction. someone 'gets' it. dont worry i wont go and highjack the thread with my views of self conscience.

18. The meaning of life is to die. All living things die.

19. What is that other x-factor, the one that makes the ducks line up in a row.. we will never be able to solve this, it's better to stop searching for something no one knows the answer too, and just live life and try to be as happy and kind to everyone you know.. life is too short, just think of the time before you were born and how much time had to come by for you to exist and how much time will pass when you cease to exist, and better yet.. you won't even know of this going on.
    wow rambling. but i dont even know anymore

20. ive been thinking about these things for the past few days. And for a year ive had this feeling of something. But i cant name it, i dont no what to call it. its just some i have to look for. metaphysics and spiritualy is where its at. I was kinda of suprized to find this here. i'd like to hear from you tweech if you noticed all those little signs. Or those little conicidences.