Life on other planets. Whats your opinion?

Discussion in 'General' started by PurpleOnyx, Aug 14, 2012.

1. [quote name='"ZihgZag"']

Lol....

Life has developed over billions of years, this is the result of evolution.

God doesn't exist. Look around, try to seriously grasp how many people are on this earth. We are a scourge to this planet, a cancer. Joe Rogan gave a good explanation: "mold on a sandwich".

No matter what you do to try and kill us, we survive. We are the ultimate cancer, we will blow your ass apart with nuclear weapons if you try to kill us now. We are looking to colonize space. We are moving to different planets now spreading our cancer.

What we really need to do is all die.[/quote]

You are lost my friend. Very lost.

You have to understand that God intentionally made us imperfect. He wants to prove to us that humans cant govern themselves. We have been trying for centuries. Yet we always crash. Power corrupts. Dont be stupid and deny the lord because if you deny him he will deny you.

2. So of god really did make us, why does he not help us out and make us better people? So I guess you think there's a big dude chillin in the sky and one day was like "yo check it, I'm gonna make a bunch of people and when they fuck shit up I'm just gonna laugh". That's the stupidest shit ever.

3. [quote name='"JamesTheToker"']This is a very interesting subject to me. Think about it. space is never ending. There has to be some kind of life out there thats intelligent. and whats your opinion on if aliens did make contact with us? Would you make peace with them? I would. Think man. maybe 20 years from now aliens will have made contact and will be living amongst us. They could show us the rights and wrong's of taking care of our planet. Wouldn't it be pretty badass to have an alien stoner friend? lmao[/quote]

i definitely think there is other life out there but simply because the universe is so vast it does not mean there 'has' to be other life. its not a necessity. until we find a single piece of evidence of other life there is no statistical basis to say that the universe must have other life forms.

but if we do find ET evidence, we could determine the amount of habitable plants, which were already doing, and approximate how many of them might have life.

4. [quote name='"Purp Skurp"']

So of god really did make us, why does he not help us out and make us better people? So I guess you think there's a big dude chillin in the sky and one day was like "yo check it, I'm gonna make a bunch of people and when they fuck shit up I'm just gonna laugh". That's the stupidest shit ever.[/quote]

He will very soon. He doesnt want to help us out because he is trying to prove a point. I dont know where God is located. I doubt he has human form though. The would be pretty stupid to think that.

5. It would be pretty stupid to think there is a god.

6. if you actually think there isn't life out there. seriously what in the fuck. that is completely unlogical to believe there isn't other life in the universe. lol

7. [quote name='"Purp Skurp"']

It would be pretty stupid to think there is a god.[/quote]

Id rather live my life believing in God and die to find out he doesnt exist- than to live my life not believing and die to find out he does.

Dont know the man who made that quote^^ but ya

8. #28 jdurden45, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
    [quote name='"Easy Going"']Doubt it.

God made us to enjoy Earth. Not to wonder if there is magical creatures in other planets with "life".[/quote]

Of course some douche had to come and bring religion into this. All I have to say is, fuckl off and go to a religion thread and stay out of science if you think it's all mumbo jumbo.

Name calling/ Disrespect is not tolerated here. Mat369

9. There's just gotta be other forms of life out there somewhere, intelligent or not. Still, I shudder to think that we're the most intelligent.

10. [quote name='"jdurden45"']

Of course some douche had to come and bring religion into this. All I have to say is, fuckl off and go to a religion thread and stay out of science if you think it's all mumbo jumbo.[/quote]

Oh ya Bill Nye the science guy is here and doesnt know how to read. When did i bring in religion? Maybe you should go to some English classes first you might not understand some science classes with that comprehension! Haha

11. I hope there is life out there. I think it would be extremely scary if we are all thats out there in the vastness of the cosmos. Just some semi-intelligent apes wandering around our own rock. Alone amidst the sea of floating rocks. Alone. Scary man, scary.

12. We are not alone... Never have been and never shall be.

13. [quote name='"Led Zepp"']We are not alone... Never have been and never shall be.[/quote]

Exactly brother! Gods watching us very closely.

14. There are BILLIONS of other galaxies out there, with some bing discovered everyday. Each day a couple galaxies BILLIONS of light years away become visible to us through super powerful telescopes now.
    That would mean there hundred-billions or thousand-billions of solar systems and planets
    Heck, it's believe our own galaxy has many many solar systems and planets
    If you want to argue we are the only life. The good luck
    Some people say that everything had to be perfect for life to start on earth. But that's just earth. What's. It to say that different mineral and element properties on another planet are not building blocks of life?
    Also, what at the chances of another planet like earth being out there? Astronomically huge
    For 1, mars is believed to have once been 100% like earth, something big just changed
    And, we have also discovered multiple other planets and moons with water, atmosphere, clouds, and x-ray readings that point towards life

15. [quote name='"Easy Going"']

Id rather live my life believing in God and die to find out he doesnt exist- than to live my life not believing and die to find out he does.

Dont know the man who made that quote^^ but ya[/quote]

Pascals wager... what if the god you're following ends up being evil as opposed to good? What if its the wrong god?

And thats not really a good argument, its just something someone who is scared of this almighty god would believe.

16. It aint a necessity, but it's a big fuckin probability haha.

17. [quote name='"Dissec"']

Pascals wager... what if the god you're following ends up being evil as opposed to good? What if its the wrong god?

And thats not really a good argument, its just something someone who is scared of this almighty god would believe.[/quote]

What ifs and what ifs. It seems like you try to find any reason to justify your reasoning in denying God.

18. #38 Senior PoopiePants, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
    There are so many variables to consider that we could be here for years discussing it. - Not that I ain't down. :D

But yeah. This is one that has always gotten me right at the core. The idea of other entities on other planets. My take on it is long, but I'll type it up anyways:

First off - There might be more than one Universe and or there might even be an infinite amount of them. That said:

OUR known Universe - 14.6 Billion years old (bya - as far as we know)
    - Earth------------------- 4.54 Billion years old (4.54 bya)
    = 10.46 Billion year difference.

(bya = Billion Years Ago - mya = Million years ago, etc.)

Now, at 3.8 bya, Simple celled life began.

It took almost 2 billion years for complex cells to form (2 bya).

From there, it wasn't until 200 Mya (Million, now) that mammals came into the picture.

2 1/2 Million years ago, the homo's came (ahaha - I mean the Genus of Homo - the first humans).

200,000 years ago - modern humans.

+ or - 6,500 years ago, Sumeria (Mesopotamia) popped up - first civilization.

Now - do the math. First of all, it's basically guaranteed that there is life out there given the math I just provided. But with so many different types of stars (sizes, luminosity, composition, etc), that means planets could follow totally different paths.

Not just that, but - imagine - WHAT IF THE DINOSAURS NEVER DIED? Mammals would have been rubbed out thanks to survival of the fittest.

So, now we're imagining alternate timelines/universes. Just like Scrodinger's Cat (The cat is dead AND alive at the same time because of something about superposition). So in the Multi-verse theory (multiple/infinite universes), there already is an Earth where Dinosaurs never died or where things were not accidentally discovered leading to shit we have now. It's enough to make someone's head explode.

Now getting to if we came in contact with Aliens.

First of all, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, and the nearest star is 4 1/2 light years away. It takes light that long to get there. It would take about 50,000 years for our very fastest spacecraft to get there, so IF it is possible to create a wormhole or bend the fabric of space/time (same thing), that is the only way there would be COMMUNICATION between civilizations.

If such a civilization can and has been able to get that far (interstellar travel), then it is safe to assume that they got past their planetary political bullshit and all worked together to make it happen. That would imply that any civilization (can't say for sure, though) that can travel interstellar would be benevolent.

But then again, perhaps a race of evil entities can manage to work together too. I don't know, though.

THAT said, I do believe since PLENTY of planets have had enough time to be born, (perhaps) grow life (notice how I termed that :eek: ), and die.

At least 100 billion planets in our galaxy:
    Study Shows Our Galaxy Has at Least 100 Billion Planets - NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

200-400 billion stars (suns) in OUR galaxy

200-400 billion galaxies in the OBSERVABLE Universe

Yup - there's life out there all right. But have they seen US yet?

The Drake Equation:

The Drake Equation

And the answer - based on feeding current data into it:

That's INTERSTELLAR civilizations in this galaxy alone. That does not include planets with say, plant life only. And it doesn't include civilization like us! Fuck! That 2,000 are a very smart species indeed.

So 2,000 communicating civilizations times (let's say) 300 billion galaxies = 600,000,000,000,000[SIZE=+1] (600 Trillion) communicating civilizations in the observable Universe.

So when you look up at the night sky (or even the day sky), there is most definitely someone or someTHING looking back wondering if there is other life out there, and there is most definitely intelligent life (interstellar) out there, but has Earth itself even been detected? It's not likely with the odds. We're a small piece of dirt in an island that is bigger than we can comprehend without using complex formulas.

Damn, that post took me a fucking hour to put together!
    [/SIZE]

19. [quote name='"Easy Going"']

What ifs and what ifs. It seems like you try to find any reason to justify your reasoning in denying God.[/quote]

God isnt real

This discussion is irrelevant

Stop trying to shove your beliefs down everyones throats. I find it annoying and disrespectful. Believe in your shit ill believe(or wont) in mine.

----------------------------
    Back on topic....

I do believe there is life out there. Maybe some species more advanced, maybe some less. But the universe is endless. Might not ever know (at least for a couple decades hopefully lol)

20. [quote name='"Easy Going"']

What ifs and what ifs. It seems like you try to find any reason to justify your reasoning in denying God.[/quote]

Shhhhh