Life in our Solar System

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Finncept, Apr 2, 2014.

1. I read a prediction of the next 6 billion years, eventually the Earth will dry up and become uninhabitable for life. This is due to the Sun, its growing larger and more powerful and has been since before our time. Stars go through stages, Red, White and Black Dwarf ect.

This got me thinking, Mars is dried-up and uninhabitable for life at this time. The Sun is growing larger which must mean that it has been since its birth.

I believe, possibly at some point the Sun may have been adequite for Mars to harness life billions of years ago, just like Earth today.

2. #2 Kush cookies, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
    Mars used to have a magnetic field ages ago and could of possible had life, its bound to happen in the next few million-billion years, I wouldn't be worrying about it not like we will be around.

3. If the sun is growing larger and more powerful, wouldn't Mars have been even colder then?

4. Mars cant harbor life because it doesnt have a magnetic field to shield the planet. That is part of why it dried up.

Only hope for life at this point is.colonization

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. What if there is life buried under the ground, so many possibilities still. Obviously life away from this planet will be nothing similar to what is on this planet maybe we are searching the wrong habitats.

6. We(humans) will destroy the earth and all life before nature does...

7. If technology kept improving at the rate it is I think we could figure out a way to live on Mars after 6 million years (if we are even still around, which is a long shot) and if not Mars, a moon Titan of Saturn may be able to sustain us (also betting tons on technology)

8. Its possible that mircrobial life exists everywhere.

But mars is bone dry. There wont ever be anything more than frozen desert microbes. Well, ever is a long time.

Perhaps mars will be hit by a comet and get a new moon and jump start life

9. Sorry to sound a bit forward but you speak as if you are part of NASA talking as if things are definite, we know basically nothing when it comes to things from outside this planet. How do you know we will only find frozen microbes? We are finding new dinosaurs on this planet every year, we have probably only searched 1% of mars.

10. Technology is stunted because of the oil industry, we'd be much further along with out it. Blame the US for that. The longer we remain asleep and passive to reality, the less likely we will ever inhabit other planets/solar systems.

11. #12 iKeepSWIMMING, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    Yes I believe that was a few years back, the Mars rover obtained ice. And if my memory serves me correctly micro life forms.

1% is very drastic I'd, estimate less than .25%. We haven't even searched 50% of earth. Thousands of species have gone unnoticed in the greatest depths of the ocean. For all we know there could be intelligent marine life buried beneath the ocean (obviously a bit of a stretch,but very possible).

my post said "if" technology [kept] improving at that rate that it has been. Even with oil, we have came along way in the past 200 years. I cant imagine what type of technology will be available to my children.

13. Well yea. Technicallly we dont know anything.

We can hypothetically find life made of unicorn dust on venus.

But we are basing our assumptions on what we know of chemistry. Which is universal science regardless of what galaxy you are in. When deciding which planets to visit, we make the descisions to visit ones that we know for sure are wirth visiting. Space exploration is expensive

Maybe some day we will have the technology to explore all of them. Then we might find something interesting.

But for now the question is, are there complex organisms in our system. We are better off exploring europa since we know it has the proper conditions to potentially support ocean life. So its worth the investment

14. #15 iKeepSWIMMING, Apr 4, 2014
    Out of all the sciences, chemistry would be ONE of the least likely to be universal throughout solar systems. Arithmetic is the only universal science. 1+1=2 no matter what galaxy you go to. That's why if you were to have an alien/reptilian encounter using numerical language would be the logical way of trying to conversing. There could be a number of different elements throughout each galaxy. Meaning the periodic table (most important tool in chem) could be obsolete,to our understanding.

15. Ummmmmm.... we know chemistry is the same. We have a thing called spectroscopy

16. #17 iKeepSWIMMING, Apr 4, 2014
    Spectroscopy is physics,not chemistry.And it has nothing to do with the number of new elements a galaxy could have. So I stick with my point.Basic Mathematics is the only science that goes 100% unchanged.

17. Spectroscopy allows us to see chemical compositions from far away. We can see the elements are the same. We have no reason to believe the laws of chemistry change, in fact, we have reason to believe that they do not change. We can see molecules in other galaxies with spectroscopy suggesting the laws of physics are undeed the same.

There may be anomolies. There may be additional undiscovered elements. But basic chemistry will be the same.

You argument is like telling a pirate that those trees he is seeing through bis spyglass might not actually be trees. Like ok. Sure. Technically you dont know they are trees. But you know what trees look like. You know how a spyglass works. And you know you can see what look like trees.

18. #19 iKeepSWIMMING, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
    I have a feeling you don't fully understand spectroscopy, it allows us to gather information using light/color spectrums (physics). In other words we use those colors to detect what elements may be in a galaxy, assuming those galaxies' elements have the same properties as our own. Just because potassium is made up of red,orange, and violet light waves in our galaxy,doesn't mean those characteristics will be the same in others. We have very limited knowledge of other galaxies. Imagine trying to identify the sex of someone from 1mile away with binoculars from Walmart, it looks like it has long hair and a purse,so it must be a girl? But we don't know until it's pants come off. Quite the analogy,but you get the point.
    If it sounds like I'm being an asshole,sorry,I'm not trying to come off as one.

19. its just a debate. No assholes here. Sept leroy...