Life in Amsterdam! expect frequent updates

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by pawlywog, Mar 10, 2010.

1. This whole thread reminds me of when my little brother went a few years back.

Here's a video of their experience... Vimeo, Video Sharing For You

2. How have you been, Pawly :eek: :wave:

3. I got a question...havent seen anyone ask..

Anyways do jobs there drug test?

4. The majority of jobs in Europe (let alone Amsterdam) don't drug test...it's pretty rare if they do and it's only done in jobs like construction (where being high on the job could be a risk) or if they actually have suspicions.

5. hey moonrat :love:

i've been good. just spending my time happy. been to a few good concerts (rusko was fucking nuts, death cab was sold out.. i was pissed) but still having fun. still working in the coffee shop and am once again looking for a new flat. i'm hoping to move in with a coworker and a friend in a legit flat somewhere quiet. wish me luck...

i think hippie pretty much nailed it. i've had a few jobs in this country and have never encountered it but i wouldn't say it NEVER happens. i'm sure there are some jobs that you are tested for. don't ask me which though..

6. Never heard of drug testing in my country, it would be seen as a huge intrusion of privacy.

7. woah man i just skimmed all 87 pages and it sounds like you're living the life. I am definitely going over for the cannabis cup in November, my mum thinks im flying out to look at universities... aha she is even paying for my flight!

8. Another question, how are weapon legalities there, for example:

Carrying a switchblade in your pocket? A gun?
    Purchasing a gun? Not looking to start trouble but just curious.

Just wanted to say, you did not just change your life, but you also changed mine, I have always wanted to start new in another country, but never thought I could do it till I read your thread, now iam like "why the fuck not?!" , you hav inspired me to do it, and do it for sure!

My career has my " re-certify "myself every 2 years, so as soon as my licence for medical work expires I should have enough cash saved up , so maby well cross paths in 2-3 years, iam a USA citizen (cali), so I have some reaerch to do regarding work visa, and how my medical education be transfered to holland ,(i expect to statt with a random shitty job there,but im time work on moving up and into medical field once again) iam 22, and have 3 years to save and plan this out.

Thank you for your inspiration and this journal/thread you been.keeping, it truly has me looking forward to something in life again.

love, peace , and chiken grease

9. I can tell you all about weapon laws.
    Some knives are legal to carry, others are not. Any knife with 2 sharp sides on the blade is illegal. Switchblades are legal if the blade has 1 sharp side, is no longer than 9 cm, or no longer than 7 cm if it's less than 14 mm wide. Other foldable weapons can also have no more than 1 sharp side and can't be more than 28 cm long when opened. There are some areas where you can't carry anything, like city centres. If you're looking to buy a knife, just go into an army surplus store or something. You usually won't find illegal stuff in stores.

Gun laws are very strict. You can own up to 5 semi-automatioc weapons if you have been a member of a shooting club for over a year and have been shooting there at least 10 times or so. Then you can apply for a permit. Then still, they are useless for self defence. You must keep the guns in a safe inside your house and the ammunition inside a seperate safe. You can't carry them anywhere except out of your direct reach to the shooting club.

Also, pepper spray is illegal. So are toy guns that look like real guns. So no airsoft. Brass knuckles are also illegal.

10. Just read this whole thread.... wow congrats man, sounds like you've established yourself really well! I'm 19, heading into my second year of uni and thinking about travelling/establishing myself in another country, possibly USA/Canada (I'm from UK), but after reading this I'm considering looking at my options in the Netherlands.

I can get to Amsterdam for very cheap seeing as though I live right next to one of the main UK ports, the day cruise option is obviously the cheapest, but leaves you with hardly any time to explore. Does anybody have any experience with hostels in Amsterdam?

Great read, it's taken me a while but congrats on your experiences!

:)

11. :)

I am glad you are happy! :hello:

that sounds awesome, I'm going to Hopscotch Festival in September. someone else was telling me Death Cab tickets were not only hard to come by but expensive which is sad. but it's good to hear you are enjoying yourself :D

Definitely good luck finding a flat. I moved and I am less happy with my new place as far as location goes but it's definitely a nice place and I am comfortable here.

12. I'm happy for you, I saw this thread was up around 2010. Are you still living there and things are good?

13. still here and still loving it. not updating as much these days.. this thread is almost a year and a half old now and i've ran out of stuff to talk about.

other peoples lives seem more interesting cause they ain't mine

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOtBiwwcA90]‪Modest Mouse - Other People's Lives‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

edit for my 4000th post :eek:

14. Living what most people dream Pawly.

Few quick questions. Do you encounter many foreign students in Amsterdam? I've been looking into postgraduate courses at the University since it's really good for my field of study and they seem to do loads of their courses in English. Be interesting to be on a course with different nationalities but obviously all with a common language if it's all being taught in English. Is it a big University? Is it in the centre or further out?

No worries if you haven't met anyone/have no experience!

Should be back in the 'dam around October time, can't keep myself away!

15. amazing song... I love, I loveeeeeeeeee

16. I'll be heading to the dam probably around July next year...if I have the money that is.

17. i got fired from work yesterday.

apparently being a fucking reliable employee is grounds for dismissal.

i'm looking into tickets home. i'm tired.

18. Damn dude, that sucks. I'm sorry bro. I've been reading this thread since the first post, and I enjoyed your updates. That has to be disappointing, though. Thanks for the countless pages of enjoyment.

19. :eek:what happened there?

20. :( :( :(