Life in Amsterdam! expect frequent updates

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by pawlywog, Mar 10, 2010.

1. #1 pawlywog, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2010
    I'M SO FUCKING PUMPED! I just got word back from a job in Holland and have bought my ticket to Amsterdam for the 25th of this month! SOOOOO lucky to be a dual citizen of the US and the NL. I'm starting over in a new country, new culture, new people, new everything :hello: i have a beautiful place to stay within biking distance AMSTERDAM! having a job going over is going to be great, i can either make bank while enjoying a year long vacation or i can start making a life for myself there. it's so easy to get a drivers license here and they offer an "international drivers license" so i'll be able to use my US one to drive but travel freely on my dutch passport. weed isn't frowned upon! they have legitimate drinking law! CLUBS :devious: ! today is a great fucking day blades i just need to bide my time until the 25th. I'm bringing a nice camera, expect frequent pic updates here soon.

anyone else ever done this? anyone have some advice?

roast one for me! i'm taking a t - break until then :p

EDIT - pics start on page 3 :cool:

2. Damn that sounds great. Congratulations.

Im sure you'll have a lot of fun. If you speak any other languages that would help you communicate better.

Keep tokin and keep us updated:smoke:

3. i got rosetta stone for dutch. i'm just getting started on it so it won't be perfect for awhile but everyone there pretty much speaks english too so i figure i'll be okay until i get the hang of it :D

4. which website did u use to find the job? And what are you going to be doing as a job there?

But damn man thats amazing good job! :smoking:

5. i didn't use a website. i just email businesses around the address i was going to be staying at and got a reply. i plan on applying a lot of other places when i get there, its just easier to find a job when you have a job you know?

6. Congrats man, sounds like you're gonna have an incredible life from here on out :D

7. Congratulations! I can't wait for the pictures and updates!

8. wow congrats. not many times in life do you get the opportunity for a fresh start :hello:

9. i broke my t break :( i couldn't do it i worked all day today and my friend rolled a blunt :ey:

i'm getting really antsy too like its weird hanging out with people now that everyone knows i'm leaving

10. 2 days blades! i'm packed up ready to go. last day of work tomorrow then smoking a blunt with as many people as possible. 6 hour time difference will take some getting used to but i know i can handle it. I'm so pumped for this, its going to be life changing. I'll start posting pictures as soon as i actually depart :)

pull up a chair if you'd like :wave:

11. damn son, that is too fucking exciting. best of luck to you over there across the world

12. thanks guys, it will definitely be interesting. i haven't been working on my dutch as hard as i probably should have been but that will definitely be something i'll be working on over there. i'd also like to look into growing, it seems it would be a lot more chill there. :p

13. That's excellent. Just be careful. I don't know Jack about Amsterdam, but I would guess that any place that is that liberal must also have some pitfalls.

I've always wanted to visit Amsterdam, and beaches in Greece. You have dual citizenship? You've been there before?

Sounds like you've done research, though. Even if you're a janitor, sofrickinwhat. You'll be there and like you said, it's easier to get a job when you've already got one.

Good for you. Go get it. :cool:

14. undoubtedly it has pitfalls but so does everywhere right? I plan on traveling all over Europe and since i am a dual citizen its super easy. i've been before but i was a lot younger so i didn't really get to enjoy all of amsterdam :p

i have done my research and if all else fails, i'm still a citizen here haha

15. #16 I blaze it, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
    sounds so cool man, when i'm a little older and more grounded i might look at my options for the dam, or some other amazing place like jamaica or something, i've always wanted to go to jamaica and work there as a chef in a hotel but i don't really know how possible that is.

16. One more day!
    You're so lucky to live over there!
    I went to Amsterdam a few years ago,
    and it was truly a memorable experience.
    Good luck, and keep us posted :)
    Peace.

17. This is sooo badass... how would you feel about a few questions like...

how hard is it to get dual cit. and that whole process?

age?

what kind of job are you going to be starting there?

I literally have nothing grounding me to any location, and i wanna try something new within a few years...

but that seriously sounds awesome! congrats

18. ahhh if i didnt have so much family here i would do the same, im excited for you!:wave:

19. i don't know the process for it, i was born into it

i'm 19

i'm working at a hotel doing miscellaneous things i guess i'll figure that out on the 1st haha.

i don't see a reason why not to see as much as possible while you can. i could see staying somewhere under the right circumstances but no such things exist here so off i go. long flight tomorrow. 54 gigs of music and 100 years of solitude

:cool: