Life expectancy of seeds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mittens024, Feb 7, 2010.

1. I bought some seed last november in amsterdamn, and i plan on buying more next november.

my question is how long do seeds live in their packages, if i bought some novmber 2010, do you all think they can be planted in spring 2011?

thanks for any help
    mittens

2. Depends how they were stored. Light, heat, and moisture all work to reduce the viability of seeds (from what i remember reading). I store seeds in refrigerator, in a pill bottle, in back of a shelf, in my effort to keep them fresh as long as possible. Having said that though, you can take a jar of 5 year old seeds, throw them into the dirt, and you will get plants sprouting. So, 6 months of waiting doesn't seem like much to me.

3. Seeds, particularly those of plants that thrive in arid climates, are resistant to lack of moisture.

You are absolutely right about those five year old seeds.

Six months is nothing to a marijuana seed.

4. thanks for the help, this makes me feel better cuz i also had some seeds from last november and were hoping theyd still be growable.

5. In nature, the MJ plant spews its seeds somewhere around October/November (in the northern hemisphere) and the seeds stay dormant and sprout in about March or April, so the seeds are designed to last at least 6 months in any event. Keep them in a dry, dark, cool place and they should be fine.