Life and death

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Digit, Sep 10, 2001.

1. I totally agree with you!!!! :)

My soul is not "part" of my physical body, therefore, when my physical body passes from existance, my soul will continue on.

I think that Earth is Hell, in the sense that we have been programed to act a certain way, and those of us who rebel are pointed to as the causes of all that is bad (ie. drug users cause violence, and weed will make you crazy). The real EVIL, is in the hearts of men and women who lack the clarity to think for themselves, and are scared of those who have that clarity they seek. Everything we KNOW was at one time just a seed of idea that someone planted in our heads, and over time it has grown into something that we have been taught to recognize as the TRUTH of the Matter.

Heaven on earth for me has been attained by realizing that I am NOT what the world wants me to be, I am just me. Once I learn to shake off the expectations of Society, I will learn to be at peace with myself, and with the world around me.

2. Kronos you are very anti god and anti religion.
    Rainman you are exactly the opposite.

I say this. In this immense universe, in all existance we occupy a small part of it. We occupy less than a grain of sand in the whole of our "immense" earth.

We do not have ANYWHERE NEAR enough evidence in suppourt of god or no god, afterlife or no afterlife. Not one of us is not ignorant. The scientific facts that we have accumulated, do you think that they ARE fact? Think about it. What if 50% of scientific fact was wrong. The theory of the four humours in ancient greece was based upon observation and that is all that we really do now. We understand very little about the universe and existance.

The same is true of spiritual understanding.

In short. There are things in this existance that we will NEVER be able to comprehend. We believe in what we hold true, be it god or science. Personally I think that there has to be something bigger than our very limited knowledge of science. This is a vast and wonderful existance, we cannot fully comprehend it, nothing should be classed as irrogance because noone knows ANYTHING FOR SURE. All we have is observations and thoughts, no matter what side you're from, no matter what we THINK we know.

Do you even know that what we see is real. You may be just one mind, a haze of energy which creates its own reality. When we can't answer questions like "do we really exist, what is real?" then how can we expect to be able to answer questions like "is there a god?"

3. I enjoyed reading your post switch! Very open minded view.

Anything is possible!

Understanding our physical and spiritual existance is always going to be a puzzle, and the answer to that puzzle is something 'BIG', something we could barely start to comprehend.

But it's still fun thinking about it all.....:)

4. But do we really know that little? Sure, you can always dig up more topics that humankind doesn't understand. But that is thanks to science, not despite science. The more you know, the more you realize how ignorant you really are. All I know is that answers provided by religion have gradually shifted to the realm of science as what we know increases. Religion will adapt, in order to suit our purposes. This fact forces me to reject it. I would rather acknowledge my ignorance than acquire delusions.

5. Our biggest mistake is to see the world as black and white, right and wrong, true and false. Science says, this moves this way and this does that, religion says, god thinks this and if you fuck with him he'll do that. Not true.

In reply to the post made by Ottopilot YES WE DO KNOW THAT LITTLE. WE KNOW JACK SHIT ABOUT THE UNIVERSE- WE DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF OUR OCEANS CONTAIN LET ALONE THE CONTENTS OF THE WHOLE FUCKING UNIVERSE. AND OF WHAT WE DO KNOW HOW MUCH CAN WE REALLY EXPLAIN?

Benjamin Hoff writes:
    "Ask a scientist 'why do birds fly south for the winter?'
    'instinct'
    or in truth: 'we don't know'"

Humanity just does not like admiting that there are some things about the universe that just will not be explained and cannot be. As a whole we run about screaming facts and statistics memorized from a book in order to look intelligent.

I do not beleive that science and spirituality cannot co-exist. I mean look at the beginning of our universe- the big bang THEORY (just incase there are any creationists here). If we had had just a little bit more mass/gravity then the whole bunch of matter at the centre of everything would have just collapsed back in on itself. Too little and all matter would not have bunched up together and made stars and plannets. It is such a fine line. I beleive that it was not just a random event.

Why do some atheists have such a bad attitude? If you tell them that you have a belif they seem to take it as some kind of insult and tell you how you're wrong cos science says this. It's not, "I beleive that...". No If you are of any religion then you are told that you are stupid and ignorant and you are denying science WHICH IS FACT. I think that we know nothing for certain, we don't even know we exist- for all I know I could be talking to autonimous robots every day of my "life." Oh btw that whole "You are ignorant of the (so called) facts" is bullshit. I am studying for my Advanced Level (A-Level) qualifications (the things that get me into university) Physics, Chemistry, Biology at a school which requires a minimum of an A in those subjects at national GCSE level- do not claim me to be totally ignorant of science as we know it and do not dismis that which you do not beleive as deluded.

6. too true switch.

Shades of Grey. The Right way.

(there's a shitload more meaning to that statement than you could ever comprehend upon first reading).

7. or a fuller colour spectrum than that, and bbeyond.

just bumpin this.

8. I do not believe that death is the end, it simply does not make sense to me, it does not seem logical... To me at any rate. It doesn't matter to me if science can or cannot answer a question. It has answered many questions incorrectly and so have people just going by faith. Of course, people going by faith have got a lot of shit right without science... *shrugs* Believe what you will. Science in no way answers these questions, science has ZERO understanding of these questions. As such, science should not be used as a basis for forming a belief. One day science will be able to answer these questions and than I guess we will know for sure, until that day comes though, death is only the beginning.

9. Death is the million dollar question and why are we here is the thousand dollar question. Way I view life is this, I think I've been somewhere else before I came here. And for science it explains some things but will never explain what happens to a organism after death and it will never explain why we are here and what created the universe planets stars and life on earth. Life's a ride- bill hicks. One thing I will add is I never chose to be rich or poor or good looking or bad looking I was put into one of the other. Never had any choice thats one reason why I think we were here before we were alive. Honestly I hate thinking about this it makes me think like I'm living everyone's life or somethting when I die or it makes me come to the conclusion that we reincarnate because I use to partially think that we did. Like you have any friends or family and its like I know that person or you see a stranger and your like "never seen him but I think i have". Smoke some salvia if you keep getting these thoughts though that shit will straighten you out. Or pop a beer. But think of all the like 66 billion humans who faced death. Were all gonna be the next 6.7 billion to face it. Also remember that people die everyday in the thousands so its not just gonna be you that has to face it. I personally hope I die sleeping thats my dream and I can wake up and be like damn wtf.

10. science is of the observation and the question, not the answer.

11. I wish more people would put that into practice.

12. especially those calling themselves "scientists". ;)