life and death, my dog

Discussion in 'General' started by pawlywog, Feb 10, 2010.

1. if you take the time to read all of this i really appreciate it, any advice is also greatly appreciated

my dog has been a part of my life almost as far back as i can remember. i sit here typing this at age 19 my dog is 15. i have very few memories before we got this dog and i have so many happy memories with him. he is a beagle my mother rescued from his abusive owner.

we were driving somewhere i don't really know, i was very young but my parents witnessed his owner hit him on the head with the but of a gun. he beat this poor little puppy for barking at something he was trying to shoot... my mother slammed on the breaks and got out of the car and went up to the man and said how much for the dog. the man replied he isn't for sale and my mother said she wouldn't leave without the dog and that he would never lay another hand on him. after some negotiation, the dog was ours. 6 houses, 5 states, so much this dog has seen. he has gone by many names in 15 years but nick aka mr. yum yums (yum for short) was ours. from the blow to the head, he developed epilepsy. for most of his, and my younger life, i would sit out in the yard with a towel in my lap to catch the drool and i would hold my wonderful dog while he suffered through his seizure. some years and seizures were worse then others but i was always here for him. people always say pets can sense when something is wrong with their owners, i believe that with all my heart and i feel a bond with this dog like no other. he knows when something is wrong with me and i know when something is wrong with him. i love this dog with all my heart, he has been there for me when i felt like i had no one.

death isn't a new thing to me, i've lost friends at a young age, i lost my grandfather too. i've struggled with suicidal ideation most of my teen years. death is an inevitability of life. i understand that i do but seeing my dog now breaks my heart. he is in poor health and i don't think he is enjoying his life anymore. we all do everything we can to make him as comfortable as possible but pets age so much faster then humans. his body just doesn't seem to want to keep going. i've read up on pet euthanasia. i know its probably the right thing for him at this point but i can't bring myself to do it. i know he is suffering but i can't let him go. i wish pets lived as long their owners, its a bitch.. you buy a pet, care for it and grow attached to it, and then it dies... this is how i view life, not just animal life. we were born into a curse.

has anyone else been in a similar situation? i can't imagine not a single one of you not dealing with this ever..

what did you do? what should i do?

nick.JPG

2. man this sucks,i love my dog so much and i hate thinking about the day she dies,do what you think is right?

3. dude, i was in the same situation earlier this year. we put down the dog i'd had since i was 4, i'm 19 too. she was a wonderful little mutt and was my best friend/sister. i bawled my eyes out when she came back from the vet wrapped up in a blanket. the best thing you can do is say you gave your dog a better life than it would have experienced without you. you know thats true in your case man, the poor thing was being beaten who knows how often. i'm gonna leave you with a song that one mr. robert plant wrote for his dog as it aged. blaze one for the poor pooch and give it a listen. if you got aim and wanna talk, i'm here for you man.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbQ0Cb6h3Ew]YouTube - Led Zeppelin bron-y-aur-stomp album version[/ame]

4. i'm torn between my feelings and his

nick1.JPG

5. I couldn't have written something about my pets any better. It's great to know that people value their pets as much as you and me. I can't bear to think about loosing my cat or my dog, but just remember-- You are actually helping the dog by putting him out of his pain and helplessness. I had to put one of my cats to sleep after he got his two front legs cut off by a combine. It would have lived, but would it have been good for the cat? Definitely not. Out of love, I put aside selfish feelings and did what was best for the animal <3 =[

6. [ame=http://vimeo.com/8191217]Last Minutes with ODEN on Vimeo[/ame]

7. #7 pawlywog, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2010

my dog chills with me outside when i go smoke :cry:

good song thank you

8. i saw that in my baww thread and honestly i lost it, i saw this post card on post secret a few months ago that this lady sent in that works in a vet, i don't have my computer up and running or i would post it but it said when we put your pet down, don't leave the room they always look for you. if it comes to that, i will be there with him to watch him go even if i lose it after.

9. Seriously man I know how you feel. I had to put my dog down and she was only 4 years old. It's best to do what is right for your dog's feelings. Not trying to be mean spirited but if your dog is in pain you need to do something about it; keeping him in pain for your own selfish reasons isn't the way to go about it. Focus on the memories you have of him & don't dwell on the negatives. 15 years is a long time to live & he's spent most of those years with someone who cares & loves him; he's lived a full and wonderful life.

10. i know its best for him but i'm scared to lose that pillar of stability in my life. no matter what happens out in the world, i can come home to him and he is there always. he listens to me when i talk to him even if i'm not really saying anything important. he is always there for me

11. I think a lot has to be said in this video. and I think
    if you watch it it'll help.
    I mean losing something that's so dear to you, especially life.
    and the life of this dog isn't something to be taken lightly.
    In last Minutes with ODEN, you can really sense the sadness in the whole
    video, but at the end as he's letting him go you can only feel the
    warmth it brought to the dog and the owner. Now knowing he's in a
    better place. It's something you'll have to deal with sooner or later.
    and I just think waiting too long will end up hurting your dogs life even more.
    It's sad to see this, but it'll have to happen. I think it'll be a major turning point in
    your life, from just hearing how much you love him and his drooly seizures.

I'm sorry to hear this, it saddens me.
    But I hope this helps.

12. i know and i think deep down i know what needs to be done it just doesn't make it any easier you know?

13. it will be one of the toughest things you'll ever do. i've never seen my father cry sober aside from then.

14. just thinking about it is enough to make me cry. our dog has been such a big part of my family. he was there for me and my sisters growing up. my mother has always been a cat person but she loves that dog so much and i know my dad does too.

it will be a tough time for all of us

15. Fix your 3rd post.

16. I feel really bad for you bro.
    but afterwards, you gotta find something that'll make
    you feel better, even if it is just memories.
    Don't just turn to smoking. I feel bad.
    It makes me sad.

It's more posts like these that we need on this site.

17. big ups to this thread tho, treat your friends, be they animals or humanimals well while you have the chance, and when it's time to go, let them go the best way you can

18. i've made the mistake of turning to drugs to solve make me feel better in the past, i know its not the way to go and i won't make that mistake again but thank you for the advice and your condolences, i wish everyone here knew him like i do, he loves everyone he meets.

19. this. no matter how hard it may be

20. I would love to meet your dog.
    It'd make this thread harder to post on
    but it would make more sense. It'd be a little bit
    more meaningful.