Life after death?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by xomarinax, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Why are people so concerned with what happens to them after they die? I don't understand why people let a giant mystery dictate their lives? It's such a morbid thing to let consume a person's mind anyways.

2. #2 AlphaOmega420, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013
    Personally I am a atheist so I am not expecting much but you have to be put into their shoes, most of those people are ignorant and/or have been brought up their entire lives listening to the same dogma day in and day out.

We are a different generation, we could never understand everything they went through.

Honestly if for instance we had a WW3 I would probably atleast try and trick myself into believing there is more to life than humans killing eachother.

We as individuals are the entire sum of our expierances, thoughts, and relationships so I can understand that the thought of losing all of that terrifies most people
    my 2cents

3. They're afraid because they don't know. They have no clue if their actions will decide anything in the future. If you try to think about it, the future is an unimaginable concept. You can have your ideas (based on the past and present) to try and formulate an image of the future.. but it's only one 4D puzzle piece of the rest of the future.

Basically, uncertainty causes fear. Especially when it's your existence on the line!

4. I have no idea what lies on the other side, if anything at all..

And personally, I've stopped giving a shit. I'm probably gonna be dead soon anyways......

5. We'll all be dead soon relatively speaking, although that doesn't mean the idea we have of death and its experience are the same thing of course.

6. There seems to be a sort of underlying consciousness that is in everything, and causes everything.... And it expresses itself through everything. It seems to me to have some kind of goal and is working towards something. Living organisms are just one way that it expresses itself and does its thing. It seems that we are just a part of that. So an afterlife where each individual has its own soul etc. seems unlikely to me. But I feel that we are all part of the same thing, and we'll always be here. It would take me forever to explain more of what I mean...

7. death is the ultimate psychedelic experience 

8. I still don't understand why people can't come to terms that the future is unknown though! I was raised a catholic but I always thought the whole thing was rubbish and caused more worry than necessary, right?

9. Have you seen enter the void??

10. food after dinner?

11. Why are people concerned about people being concerned about life after death? 

12. In my eyes life is meaningless unless there is some kind of life after death. How can you not be concerned with death? It is pretty much the only thing you can be certain of in your lifetime. It is liberating to believe that you will carry on. Your belief on what happens when you die effects what you do in this life in a big way.

13. Life after love.

14. Is one of the many mystery of life ... So much knowledge un-known . Dont u wanna know what the future holds?

15. One of my passions is the paranormal, and most of that stems from two particular experiences when I was 7 and 13. Life after death is completely real - it's just, until you see it happening with your own eyes it will be impossible to comprehend. You're right though, I have no idea what happens - nobody does. It just makes you wonder when you see vase fly across the fucking room and smash against the wall.

16. This is just me, but I think that when you die, your soul or life energy or whatever you want to call it, returns back into the universe to be at one with everything and is recycled back into new life of some sort.