Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

License needed for Dispensery?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by ChipThaRipper, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whats up everyone? I'm an avid smoker currently going to college for a business management degree. I'm from long island and was happy to read yesterday that NY had a medical mj bill proposed I believe on Feb 1. That made me start thinking about the dispenseries that were going to open. Being in a populated area such as Long Island, I started to think why not me? I'll have the management knowledge from school and I have a lot of money saved up, enough to be able to stock the whole store right now no problem. What kind of license would I need to get to do this and who should I be contacting?

Thanks for the help everyone!

2. I assume you are talking about a liscense to open a dispensary yes? In that case the exact laws vary from state to state and you might have to wait for the actual bill to pass and see what it says!

happy tokin:smoke:

3. Proposing a bill is a far far cry from actually having dispensaries open. To be honest, I highly doubt NY is going to allow dispensaries to operate any time soon, I'd continue on with your life and not worry about it if I were you.

That being said if dispensaries ever were to be allowed, there's all sorts of permits and regulations you'll have to follow which will be state mandated, meaning none of us can really help you because it'll be NY specific. I can tell you if it's anything like Colorado it'll be a race to get permits though and you'll want to pick a good location because if you ever have to move (let's say there's a new landlord and he isn't alright with your business, or the building your in is getting renovated etc.) you'll most likely have to re-apply for a permit and therefore go to the bottom of the waiting list (seen it happen to a few dispensaries around here).

4. There is probably a bunch of steps. In most states, a dispensary is a 501(c) nonprofit (technically). As you probably know, you can't take in profits but you can use money to pay business expenses which can include salaries. There a bunch of 501(c) rules, but most lawyers or a law clinic can usually help get one going pretty easy.

Most cities/towns require you to have it approved by a zoning board and will have limitations on them being placed by schools/parks etc. You'd probably have to get a few permits related to the placement and operation.

And, if passed, I'm sure the law would contain other requirements or regualtions on the corp. based on the med mar law.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.