levels of consciousness

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by YOWHATUP, Feb 2, 2013.

1. It's so crazy to think about they way that we think while high!! In one given moment, there are so many possible thoughts that you might have at different levels of consciousness (whether it's way in the back of your mind or your main focus on the moment). I think that when you're high those extra thoughts are all amplified so you get distracted by them and aren't able to focus on one thing for an extended period of time. I think it's interesting though to think about the different levels of consciousness – why do we focus on certain things, and what does “focus” really mean? Why does one thing begin to become part of the forefront? I feel like our thoughts almost go through steps. At first, they form in the back of our minds, and depending on how interested we are in them, they start to move toward the forefront. I think we must have around a dozen thoughts at any given moment, but there is always one thought that comes forward at a time. It's like I'm trying to put something intangible into something tangible.

2. Metacognition is the word for thinking about your thoughts.

Neuroscientists have already shown the brain does multiple things in different unconnected parts of the brain to achieve a single process. Mabye that is what makes it seem like we have levels of consciussness as you put it.

Its also been suggested brains stores memories in a web structure. When you activate one memory, anything connected to it semi-activates as well.

3. I definitely feel like the way our thoughts flow is like a web!

4. Wow, I've often thought about that, thinking about thoughts, what I'm thinking about. Glad I can put a word to it now, just thought I was going crazy. But thats what I do during yoga, "try" to think about nothing, few times I've had like time lapses, half awake/asleep just kind of drifting.

5. ^theres also a thing called meta-anxiety or metasadness

Having anxiety or sadness about having anxiety or sadness

Its a vicious cycle. It can be the cause of panic attacks and depression in some cases

6. Levels of consciousness is a very interesting thing to me especially if you are reading a book. If you are at a low level of consciousness and you read a spiritual book you would probably think "haha wtf is this load of bs", but then when you are at a higher level of consciousness so much more stuff makes sense. Same with watching certain movies or even interacting with certain people, everything in your life can be changed if you just look at it from a different perspective IE different level of consciousness.