Let's Talk: Nihilism and the Purpose of Existence

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Chraynaus, Aug 8, 2012.

1. There doesn't seem to be a negative rep button.
    Nihilism is like suicide....

2. Nihilism is like... excepting life at face value...... mannn.

3. #63 DBV, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
    No offence or anything, but that sounds depressing when you know you can't put a price on life..

4. Life would be the most prized thing to a Nihilist.

5. I find the fact that anyone of you attempt to proclaim these assumptions ludicrous to say the least..... One thing is for sure We Don't Know...... therefore Agnosticism is the only stance you can take, whether u stray left or right it means little in the Objective (Truth), although it greatly affects the Subjective (person). If you attempt to disagree with this proclamation, You must provide an overwhelming evidence to which you are inherently incapable of doing so. There is a plethora of ideas and fallacies here and yet not one argument is irrefutable. This is what makes me Question?

6. [quote name='"ContrabanTheory"']I find the fact that anyone of you attempt to proclaim these assumptions ludicrous to say the least..... One thing is for sure We Don't Know...... therefore Agnosticism is the only stance you can take, whether u stray left or right it means little in the Objective (Truth), although it greatly affects the Subjective (person). If you attempt to disagree with this proclamation, You must provide an overwhelming evidence to which you are inherently incapable of doing so. There is a plethora of ideas and fallacies here and yet not one argument is irrefutable. This is what makes me Question?[/quote]

You sir, are correct.

7. #67 ContrabanTheory, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
    [quote name='"justAheffa"']

You sir, are correct.[/quote]

Yes..........
    Yes I am lol Human Ego

8. when all other forces seem unrealistic, turn to the force of nature. :smoke:

9. I feel like religion might have just been invented so people could feel as if their lives had some kind of true purpose. The purpose is just to live, the collective path is more relevant than the individual's conquests and always will be. Like many above have said, Agnosticism is the only stance we can really take without venturing into the land of "beliefs and opinions".

10. Well I think a belief in God has obvious evolutionary benefits

11. [quote name='"dankydankk"']Well I think a belief in God has obvious evolutionary benefits[/quote]

Elaborate on this, please

12. i wouldn't say evolutionary benefits, social ones perhaps, (and alot of social dis-benefits) and also lets not forget all the scientific oppression. that's why i respectfully disagree sir :)

13. To a nihilist, Life is so beautiful, free and priceless, that he dares not to put a price tag on it, he chooses to be honest and he dares not to fall in archaic beliefs and cruel ideologies, he dares not invent a fantasy to substitute a most magnificent reality, he dares not follow any "objective" moral code as he cherishes freedom of the mind and body, he dares not choose a religion or afterlife, for he rather live his life passionately.

A nihilist, then, is the freest of Mankind, the culmination of his honesty, intellectualism, open mindedness, rationality, wisdom and love (acceptance) of all. A more complete human being has not existed ever.

Nihilist, the Universe therefore crowns you as a God on your own right. The world is yours.

14. I've always seen the human mind as a series of chemical reactions. Set up the right environment, and conditions, and you can make a human brain react the same way you would a chemical experiment. And as humans most of us are victim to this, because we often look back on things we did when we were wrong and not know why we did the things we did, or even worse, and more common, we don't see when we are wrong and just believe the other person was wrong. I've noticed that all arguments with people are based on a feeling of self righteousness on both sides, that neither party can see the perspective of the other, and the argument is just a result of this overpopulated earth which causes people to bump into each other every now and again, in a manner of speaking.

15. #75 Maryed Man, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2012
    Well put. I tried to explain the beauty of life through my eyes to my friend, but he couldn't comprehend it, unfortunately it just left him really dull and depressed. But I'm beginning to realize that most human minds can't just understand life for the way it really is, they need to fantasize and insert unnecessary meaning into things where it isn't meant to be.

Edit: And awesome signature dude, between that and your post you highlighted two of my most prominent ponderings that are often on my mind.

16. I think this is a legitimate question for someone who doesn't know. And I think the answer is we know that it isn't "wrong" to kill or rape. Right and wrong is relative. However, who we are means something to us rather than what we have; it's the image we have for ourselves that makes us who we are, not what other people see us as. That being said, we wouldn't want to see our time in the world as a rapist or a murderer, or a thief.

17. you might wanna go to a doctor, no offense but sounds a bit narssisistic

18. Lol most of the things u just said could apply to any non nihilist so...
    U r kinda stating a given. Only the ignorant say nature made you without taking into account the environment. Still ur misconceptions about instilling a meaning or purpose to our lives makes u just as deluded to the objective and that much more prone to the subjective

19. #79 Maryed Man, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
    Maybe that came off as narcissistic when I said it, I was really high at the time so maybe just said it the simplest I could. Basically I mean to the nihilist, nothing has inherent meaning about life, no 10 commandments guide his morality. Life is not about being happy with what you have, but being happy with what you are. Man cannot own anything besides that which is within himself, so he should not obscure what is within. I do not perceive thievery as wrong because it is stealing from someone who owns that item, but I do perceive it as wrong because I am not the one that earned that item; I did not spend my time on it, my care on it, and it was not earned by me. To take from others what is not mine is a pathetic way of gain, a scavenge no better than a vultures bounty. Maybe that is narcissistic but who I am means something to me.

Edit: And I do not mean to chalk something like rape or death up to terms of extreme simplicity like that, I just responded to the idea of right and wrong he was asking about. There are a multitude of obvious reasons why someone wouldn't want to rape and kill even if one deemed it was not "evil" or "wrong". So what I mean to say is right and wrong still exist in nihilism, but not in the same way that most people see it.