Let's Talk: Nihilism and the Purpose of Existence

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Chraynaus, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Love is an objectively substantiated concept. You should research the associated chemicals such as oxytocin and try not to philosophize about subjects you're not well educated about because it doesn't work...

All in all, I think your views are interesting and somewhat agreeable. I'm not sure that life has intrinsic value, which is what you are arguing against, but I'm not sure that should stop us from assigning value to certain aspects of our existence that affect us. For example, you could argue that food has no intrinsic value, but I don't think that removes any of its value from those who require it for sustenance. You could also argue life has no intrinsic value, but if your best friend died, would you still call them valueless? Value or meaning simply depends on context in that sense and it is fallacious, therefore, to make broad generalizations about value or meaning. I think a more proper school of thought than nihilism is recognizing that value or meaning is something that can't be fallaciously assumed, but rather must be as objectified and substantiated as any other concept. You know, like logic and stuff. :laughing:

2. #42 DBV, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
    Purpose is a product of a mind. Because you are existence, existence's purpose is the reason you choose to live, whatever the purpose is you choose. (by "choose to live", I don't mean choose to be born, but continue to live)

Can I say existence had a reason to create itself? Of course not, but I certainly like to entertain the thought.. Even if I'm extremely skeptical of any idea the thoughts pertain.

3. [quote name='"KenjaminK"']Love is an objectively substantiated concept. You should research the associated chemicals such as oxytocin and try not to philosophize about subjects you're not well educated about because it doesn't work...

All in all, I think your views are interesting and somewhat agreeable. I'm not sure that life has intrinsic value, which is what you are arguing against, but I'm not sure that should stop us from assigning value to certain aspects of our existence that affect us. For example, you could argue that food has no intrinsic value, but I don't think that removes any of its value from those who require it for sustenance. You could also argue life has no intrinsic value, but if your best friend died, would you still call them valueless? Value or meaning simply depends on context in that sense and it is fallacious, therefore, to make broad generalizations about value or meaning. I think a more proper school of thought than nihilism is recognizing that value or meaning is something that can't be fallaciously assumed, but rather must be as objectified and substantiated as any other concept. You know, like logic and stuff. :laughing:[/quote]

Well said.

4. It's always two sided.

There is science and there is something way bigger.

5. Reality? :smoke:

6. [quote name='"Messiah Decoy"']

Which brings me to my earlier point: compared to the authors of these debated philosopies we're all ”stupid” which makes your snobbery all the more desperate and sad.

lolz[/quote]

I don't know why you think that.

7. [quote name='"Messiah Decoy"']

Which brings me to my earlier point: compared to the authors of these debated philosopies we're all ”stupid” which makes your snobbery all the more desperate and sad.

lolz[/quote]

The human mind is constantly evolving. And there is a difference between being stupid and uninformed. I would say the fact that we're uninformed pertaining to philosophical matters is more of society's fault than any individual.

8. Do nihilist believe in money, and if so since money (not currency) can be a religion don't u inadvertently follow it

9. Correct me if im wrong but from your first post you were saying that theism, etc. were created by a fundamentally flawed mind. I was just stating that your nihilistic view point was created by that same mind that created theism, etc. so what makes nihilism different from all the other beliefs that are created through a fundamentally flawed viewpoint... I was and still am playing devils advocate even though for the most part i agree with you.

10. That's as far as we can logically get.
    Though, we know that through quantam physics, we create the reality around us. It's the act of oberservation which creates, and everyhting you see around you isn't actually there, because you're only projecting it there by the way your perceiving the input.
    Just as someone says yellow is green, and so forth.

And also, just because someone believes god is real, doesn't mean they're wrong.
    Because we all have different realities.

No one is wrong, we all create our own reality, and we're pretty much infinite potential though if you went that far your physical body wouldn't last long.

Umm.. I'm way too fucked up on poly ___ use, so this probably doestn't make sense. Fuck. see yas.
    Love you all!

LOVE
    :)

11. God doesn't exist. Life isn't sacred. There is no right and wrong. We have no purpose other than to fulfill a biological imperative to disseminate the parasite that is mankind. Fuck bitches, smoke weed, eat cereal.

12. #52 Lerf, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
    god is love love is in the heart so when you meet your god, your just raising your heart to ecstacy. If you have god you therefore have a strong heart which is the sum of love

so in order to meet god you must meet some pussy (or dick for some) and fall in love and stay in love, dont be with a cheating slut, because thats not god, thats the devil. Therefore priests in church dont see god (cause they single) and thats why religion is bullshit. Find your own god (in the heart)

13. No, God is everything. It isn't one thing, that's stupid.

14. False. God is psilocybin.

15. And Sobriety.

16. Every single post here is 100% correct :)

17. http://youtu.be/HoqSas2uFKw

18. And 100% wrong.

19. #59 Vieyra Sking, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
    Bah! So true!
    I don't like that view though, I feel it would bring more unnecessary negativity into the life of who perceives it.

20. And necessary positivity ;)