legalizing other drugs?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by juta107, Oct 24, 2010.

1. so most people here..other than maybe those that profit from the underground market.. think that marijuana should be legal. but what about other drugs? i personally think that all drugs should be legal. what do you guys think?

2. I actually started a thread like this a couple weeks ago and it got deleted. I don't know why grasscity cares about meaningful discussions such as this one.

I think some drugs should be legalized like shrooms, peyote, and acid. The more addictive ones should be decriminalized

3. I think all drugs should be legalized and regulated by more responsible providers.
    every individual drug should be regulated with a liscensing system including alcohol.
    I also think that there needs to be a formal educational system that everyone who wants a liscense must go through.

4. hmm ok so i anticipate this getting deleted too.

but i think that all drugs should be legal. i guess i take on the libertarian views when it comes to this but i just dont think that the government should be able to tell you what you can or cannot do to your own body.
    i think that making all drugs legal would get rid of a lot of violence and organized crime too.
    and i dont think that making these things legal would increase drug use for the things that are actually dangerous. looking at tobacco for example, with education alone tobacco use has gone down significantly in the last few decades because people know that it is bad for their health. for that reason, i do not think that other people who have not already tried harder drugs will be more likely to do so just because it is legal.

5. I believe threads regarding other drugs are usually deleted because they involve non-marijuana. I tried re-reading the GC Rules and there wasn't anything in particular about posting about the legalization of all drugs. There is a rule about not posting how to make "other drugs" and not posting about any drug trafficking/buying/selling.

I believe all drugs should be taxed and regulated.

I don't believe it should be the government's job to imprison a person who may have drug addiction. Government should help people by informing them of the effects of drugs, and allow them to seek help.
    This could be(but not required) accomplished by having people take a test that discusses the harms and any associated benefits of a drug, and obtaining a card to allow the drug's purchase for adults. This test will basically result in "we have informed you of the risks/benefits, you have learned about the risks/benefits, and now you are consenting to purchase these drugs".
    Taxation and legalization will also hopefully make drugs safer (for users) by not allowing any of the dirty tricks that happen on the street for more money. This will also reduce the number of drug labs in neighborhoods where any number of things can go wrong and hurt people just going about their day.

6. Legalize them all. Let doctors handle the addicts, not police.

7. Legalize all drugs except heroin and meth cause that shit is just plain not safe. Acid peyote shrooms DMT all that stuff should be legal. No doubt.

8. Legalize and educate. At the minimum, decriminalize all drug use, not necesarrily trafficking, but don't make people criminals because of what they choose to put into their own body.

9. i agree that those drugs are not safe, but i would argue that people should be able to decide what they put into their own bodies. plus, like i said before, i do not think that use would increase at all. also, crime would decrease and revenue from taxes on these drugs would increase.

10. Legalize all drugs.

11. I think we should legalize them all just to get rid of the black market. sorry scarface.

12. i think we need to find a balance between the destructive influence the drug has on society and the destruction caused to society by attempting prohibition of that drug.

obviously, marijuana has almost no negative impact on society, and keeping it illegal means funding violent drug cartels, making criminals out of ordinary citizens, etc., so it's pretty obvious which option hurts society more.

i don't know that the same can be said for harder drugs, such as heroin and methamphetamine. prohibition stills benefits drug cartels, but i don't think legalizing them would be beneficial to society. increasing the availability of extremely addictive substances and removing the penalties for using them will almost certainly lead to more addicts, and that would probably be worse than the problems created by prohibition.

at the very least, i think that drugs that are highly addictive and physically harmful should be decriminalized, and the focus should shift from punishing users to rehabilitating them if they become addicted, and exclusively going after and punishing manufacturers and higher-level distributors of said drugs.

i think each drug should be reviewed to see what would happen if it were legalized. the country would be better off if things like lsd, shrooms, peyote, and the like were legal, but other drugs require closer review.

13. It has been said several times, but it is out of the realm of fair governance to make a choice for someone else; therefore, legalize it all. Even regulate it.

But, it should not be taxed. If the federal government really cared about having a balanced budget, it would spend responsibly, it's as simple as that. The problem is overspending, certainly not lack of taxation. Also, it seems wrong to me for an institution to profit from the suffering of others, because that encourages the suffering to continue- it institutionalizes the suffering.

14. You are looking at the worst case scenario: that human adults need consequences to keep their hands out of the cookie jar.

On the other hand, some people may accept the addiction as a fair consequence. If somebody who knows the full reality of the situation decides to use an addictive drug anyway, then it would be morally reprehensible, in my opinion, to attempt to thwart their free will.

15. I can't say I'm for legalizing everything. Some of this stuff really shouldn't be sold in stores for anyone to buy, but what we have now definitely isn't working.

My big issue is safety. Look at all the diseases passed around by dirty needles. Maybe heroine shouldn't be legal, but why the fuck can't you go to the store and buy a clean needle? It doesn't make sense, if you have the drug you're gonna do it, whether the needle is clean or not.

Maybe we can't stop people from doing drugs, but we can help them to try and not mess up their life, ya know? I dunno, I don't really know that much about it.

16. Everything needs to be legalised, otherwise the same problems are just going to keep on reoccurring. However it needs to be done gradually. Firstly all drugs should be decriminalised, followed by legalisation of Cannabis. Then drugs like MDMA, shrooms, LSD to follow and gradually over a period of many years heroin and cocaine should be legalised.

17. Educate and Legalize EVERYTHING

18. I think some drugs are useful to take occasionally, I'm mostly only talking about some of the psychedelic drugs though. Tripping can be good for the mind, if done at the right place with the right state of mind.

So I think some should be legalized and some drugs have no useful purpose so they should remain illegal.

19. Who gets to decide what is useful? Do you think you (or someone else) should have the power to put people in jail for manufacturing/consuming/possessing certain substances?

20. well said... well said