Legalization? Now for the Hard Question - NY Times on Legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by yannick8164, May 18, 2009.

1. Legalization? Now for the Hard Question

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/fashion/17generationb.html?_r=1

Ethan NADELMANN, executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance speaks to a journalist about the struggle of the legalization of Marijuana, and believes 5 stages
    "
    Stage 1. Bill Clinton: I smoked but I did not inhale.

Stage 2. Al Gore: I smoked, it was wrong, I regret it, shame on me.

Stage 3. Michael Bloomberg (asked if he'd tried pot): “You bet I did and I enjoyed it.”

Stage 4. Barack Obama: “I inhaled frequently - that was the point!”

Stage 5. Public Figure to Come: Yes, I smoke the occasional joint.
    "

READ THE ARTICLE! =] :smoking:

happy toking

2. Good article. Helps me get into the heads of where some prohibitionists are coming from.. Even parents that smoked pot back in their day have hesitations about their kids smoking. Let's face it, pot doesn't work for everyone, and if introduced to the wrong kid at the wrong time it can have a poor effect on his/her life.

That's why I think we need to push the truth that legalization and regulation of cannabis would more effectively keep marijuana out of the hands of children and adolescents than would our current free-for-all system of illegality. That same old slogan, drug dealers don't ask for I.D, you know?

3. The public, at least government, official would not work, because they would lose their job if they smoked cannabis. You can't have a government position if you use drugs; well, unapproved drugs. If you kill yourself with alcohol or tobacco or abuse prescription drugs, that's okay, but if you smoke the most medicinal plant in the world for some relaxing leisure, you are not fit to run this country.

4. very well composed article. i understand why he fears for his children, but i think this is more reason for legalization. legalization will help make it harder for kids to get a hold of it.

5. Exactly. It is easier for kids to purchase weed today then it is for them to purchase alcohol. I have been there, not so long ago, and I know!

If it were regulated that would change.

6. In middle school and high school, I could have gotten weed A LOT easier than alcohol.

7. the logic of some people astounds me. legalizing pot "sends a message that it is harmless."
    right, so cigarettes being legal means we are sending a message that they are harmless?

also anyone who starts drinking/smoking weed/smoking cigs at 12 years old has far deeper problems that can't be blamed on weed being a "gateway" drug.

8. I think that if it were to become legal, the number of young teens using it would decrease due to their ineligability to gain access to it. Secondly, if it were legal maybe our government would actually work since politicians might split a fucking blunt between a couple of them and actually discuss matters instead of shouting at eachother and saying how eachother is wrong while standing infront of a bunch of lobbyists.

9. Very very intellectual comment. I completely agree and couldn't agree more. Politicians of both parties (mainly Republicans however) tend to turn to alcohol which brings out violence and shouting where as marijuana brings out peace and harmony. There is all this talk about bipartisanship, but it has yet to be achieved. I support the president in everything he does so legalizing/decriminalizing marijuana just makes sense. A liberal Washington should equal a more free country in terms of marijuana and its use. Hopefully, we'll see this occur more sooner than later.

10. The NY Times is one of the most biased, bullshit "news" outlets, second only to NBC. I used to read the times rather frequently until this past presidential election.

11. Why? Cite examples, don't just spew shit straight from the O'Reilly Factor or Hannity....

12. the gateway theory is bullshit, i started smoking at 13 did not use hard drugs tell after high school in which it was me hanging out with the wrong ppl, and not because of pot.

13. the argument that i don't like which the author quotes is "But everyone who does abuse heroin starts with pot."

I'd be willing to bet (though I don't fall into this category) that about 4 out of 5 people whether they are heroin addicts or everyday straight-laced type tried alcohol before any other drug.

I hate when people say "....drugs and alcohol..." It's the same shit.

The only reason the quote doesn't say "but everyone who does abuse heroin starts with alcohol" is because alcohol is legal. Which is the whole essence of the arguement.

14. You know i always see this bs card played, how so and so became a heavy addict of some hard drug and he started by smoking pot, well pot is the most harmless one of them all, i smoked weed way before i started drinking and going to parties and such, ive never touched a hard drug in my life, Simply cannabis because i know its safe, and i simply dont believe what the goernment says is right or wrong.

15. About when he was talking about every heroin addict having smoked marijuana..
    Certain people will do heroin. Of course these people will try marijuana if it's something that is known to change their mindset to it as well. And I bet the average heroin addict has tried alcohol too - and yet that is legal.

What I'm saying is basically that even if marijuana didn't exsist.. that person could've been exposed to ANY kind of drug-related things that lead them to that. Just because marijuana happens to be in that catergory, doesn't make it automatically bad.

I'm stoned, sorry if some of that didn't make sense :smoking:

16. That article just goes to show that people really do get dumber as they get older. The scientists are right. This must be why the government tries to keep people alive as long as possible.

17. #17 EffAreAyEnKay, May 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009
    So tired of hearing the same tired IGNORANT rhetoric out of the mouths of those who do not smoke (if you haven't in 20 yrs you do not anymore.). Everyone thinks they know it all when it comes to pot and its dangers but i have yet to see one of the studies on NORML's site be broadcast on any form of national TV. All we need is better exposure of the public to the numerous beneficial studies on weed that redeem its place as the SAFEST "drug". I'm not saying there aren't dangers with trees all i'm saying is that the gateway theory is bullshit..he started with milk then went to beer then to bourbon... you get the point. If Mr. heroin addict's father would've been paying more attention to the life of his 12 yr old son he definetly wouldn't have smoked reefer that young. Its about ignorance, incompitance and the fear of severalk multi billion dollar buisnesses impotence after legalization that is throwing a wrench in the gears. I feel like way too many people think like this author...but if it were legal it would be like your kids walking into the store to buy beer...I.D.? no I.D. no weed sorry. This guy threw out almost every bad cliche about weed in the book. Just legalize it, tax it and let me fucking grow it legally already. So fucking simple.

18. great read, really got me thinking.

thanks for the post :)

19. thanks for all the comments!
    and i personally think that more of us should advocate the legalization of MJ.
    take it to the streets with nonviolent protests, and what not, start a Legalization Campaign type of thing. inform people about the REAL risks of Marijuana and the Pros of using it, and how its no more dangerous than alcohol and cigarettes, in fact its better for you than those 2 substances if used with some moderation. :smoking:

20. really interesting