Legalization in 3 states?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Jaycooler, Aug 9, 2012.

1. I don't disagree with you Meebo, in fact I sat here nodding my head reading most of your post. I just believe if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right. Except the soccer mom part... you'd be surprised how many moms use MJ (myself included).

What bugs me is when people say "so what if cannabis is legal in every state, it's still illegal on a federal level" I'm sorry, if 50% or more of the states legalized cannabis in a reasonable manner, I don't think the DEA would have much of a chance continuing its attack on cannabis.

2. #42 YoSmokinMan, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2012
    I agree with everything BUT the bolded part.

To that I say what in the fuck are you smoking man?

The price of cannabis is artificially inflated , by a huge margin due to the illegality. When legalized prices will drop dramatically even if they put a very large tax on it.

You don't seem to know how much it really costs to grow bud.

Some people will tell you it's thousands and thousands of dollars. Well it can be but you don't need 10K+ watts burning for yourself.

A smaller 250-400w HPS grow will run you 2-3 hundred to set up if that. At that point even with expensive electric it's not going to cost you more than $10-$15 to grow an ounce. And since you can reuse the equipment, after the first grow as you can see the bud is cheap as hell to grow.

And the larger the grow the cheaper the bud becomes per ounce (or pound).

Most dealers and growers are just greedy as fuck charging the insane prices they do.

So with that being said please explain how in the fuck prices will go UP when legalized?

3. Being scared is the reason it's illegal, seriously IMO I don't think that testing for THC that stays in your system for thirty days or more will be legit..oral swabs will be more cost effective and hey dont give the pigs a reason to suspect your a pothead and profile you. That's life until bigger societal perceptions change.
    My main concern is if one of these bills does pass I seriously doubt any of the federal government is going to allow legalization. I see state and individual rights being violated.

4. as bolded in Beeze's post. Now, I didn't say not everyone can *afford* to grow, I said not everyone is *able* to grow. Not quite the same. If you're in a living situation (or living with a condition) that makes it impossible (or at the very least extremely inconvenient) to grow then you're going to have to buy it. Now, I'm not sure how much an eighth of MMJ goes for in a dispensary, but I'm willing to bet a 50-75% increase in cost is going to be a big problem for a lot of people.

I agree that the current prices of cannabis is inflated because of it's illegal status, I absolutely agree with that. I know that if it were legalized (properly) and taxed (reasonably!) it would be much more affordable. But if there's an increase on the current prices, well... that will suck eggs.

note: please excuse any incoherency... I'm running on little sleep, no MJ and I added a one month old to my usual gaggle of children today so my brain is a bit frazzled :eek:

5. That's all fine and dandy - where's your initiative for "complete" legalization? That's right jack, you don't have one and if I-502 doesn't pass, the feds are going to jump your ass just like they did after Prop 19 didn't pass.

YES ON I-502

6. Let me give you this food for thought, "if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right" is very true in this situation, it's the right time to pass this bill and legalize marijuana. What naysayers in Washington need to understand is that the execution of the bill is not the largest thing at stake here. What's at stake is the opportunity to spark the conversation of legalization between presidential candidates, what's at stake is building the momentum for more states to follow through, and what's at stake is showing the Government the true will of the people which is so often statistically in favor of cannabis yet rarely represented. Only then, when marijuana is legalized at a federal level, will we be truly safe using cannabis.

I-502 is a domino piece that can either spark a nationwide revolution, or be swept under the carpet for years to come. The bottom line is that it is in the best interest of any cannabis activist to support it, and work out the kinks over time while allowing more states to enact bills of their own.
    As stated earlier, the fear of a "cannabis DUI" is blown out of proportion, and "passing now, amending later" is the best course of action not only in Washington, but for the country as a whole. It is imperative that at least 1/3 states with legalization on the ballot pass their bills, fear mongering and bickering between cannabis supporters themselves is truly unproductive and selfish.

7. Why is it our responsibility to lead this charge? Why don't you get people in YOUR state fired up and get Maine to be the front runner?

You're asking me to give up my medical use rights so that a bunch of people can use it recreationally? I'm sure not going to be an advocate of that.

8. [quote name='"SplitGenetics"']New York needs to get its medical game on :([/quote]

This.

9. What's the progress for NY? I hope that if it gets legalized that cops would let the individuals toke in peace without harassment, etc.

10. [quote name='"Beeze"']

Why is it our responsibility to lead this charge? Why don't you get people in YOUR state fired up and get Maine to be the front runner?

You're asking me to give up my medical use rights so that a bunch of people can use it recreationally? I'm sure not going to be an advocate of that.[/quote]

Because the people of your state are one of the first to start talking about legalization before most of the country? That's the point of momentum, because others haven't gotten to talking about it. These three states are waking up early in America and can encourage others to fight for it in their state.

And please, marijuana is not your plant. It helps you medically but that doesn't mean it should ignore the rights of those who use it recreationally. Those "bunch of people" get thrown in prison, how can you stand on the sidelines and watch your fellow statesmen get their lives ruined over an innocent plant?

By the way, how would it be giving up your medical rights?

11. Sounds like an obamacare type bill. Bunch of sugar coated bs that most people will call progressive and a step in the right direction.

12. I agree, I didn't really find that to be a very effective ad.

13. I don't think Washington's bill will pass. Too much opposition, even from users. Colorado and Oregon, on the other hand, have a very good chance. Especially with the NAACP backing Oregon's bill. And if the feds try to come in and fuck shit up, I hope people get pissed. Not just people supporting marijuana, but people from all over the US. I hope they see how fucked up it is that the state passes a law and the federal government can't mind their own fucking business and try to go against WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT.

14. You mean like what the feds have pulled with the medical states? I'd put WA ahead of OR though.

15. The constant stereotypes and lies that we receive on a day to day basis for using cannabis is of disgust. I'm tired of a war against a drug that has a grand total of zero deaths worldwide. The legalization of this medication would provide billions upon billions of dollars to our failing economy, and would certainly leave a positive dent in it. We need to rethink our absurd laws, and we need to legalize this NOW!

16. i knew this was gonna become an i502 thread and ill be voting yes on it. the domino effect will hopefully start with washington. i understand its bad for the patients but sometimes you just need to take a sacrifice. plus it will be updated within a few years for a better system in washington. 50000 patients vs 8 million living in washington can do a lot

17. I see what you're saying, but I can't agree with you. The people who need MMJ most should not be sacrificed for the sake of others. That is just plain wrong. Cannabis should be legal, but not at the expense of others.

18. It wont do anything, man. Criminal code overrides it. :(

19. How does the criminal code override the entire series of related laws being classified as in violation of constitution and stricken down as non-non-existant? :S

It's irrelevant anyway as it will just be appealed up to the supreme court if this appeal is denied, which are conservative heavy and Harper's. but still, how would the ruling itself not be valid? otherwise why would the crown appeal in the first place so rigorously ?

20. If you subscribe to that train of thought, then certainly you don't believe the Federal Government's belief that marijuana offers no medicinal value whatsoever, or that whatever conditions accepted for a MMJ card are the only conditions that the medical qualities of cannabis benefit.
    For all you know there could be people with un-qualifying conditions such as a veteran with PTSD, hoping for this bill to pass. There isn't a group of people that cannabis benefits, and another group who uses it purely recreation-ally. I believe cannabis benefits everyone somewhat, whether it be relief from chronic pain, or just a better outlook on life.