Legality Question

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by Kiefsweat, Feb 4, 2013.

1. So a long time ago i took some songs that i really liked and i remixed them a little to sound cool. they are other artists songs of course, not my own songs.

my question is, can i upload them to sites like soundcloud or bandcamp for people to hear? i dont want to make money off of it, or even have it up for download. i just want people to hear it..

didnt know if its legal or illegal, or if i should ask the artist first.

ive got some really cool remixes of some songs i did.

one of them being LSD by Hallucinogen, and i did an Ulver song.

its some pretty tight shit hahaha

thanks for help :wave:

2. Bumpcity son.

i need some answers yo.

i wanna upload these remixes really bad haha

--ive searched the internet only to find that it says both things. its illegal, and its not at teh same time. the law keeps changing so much though its hard to say..

thought someone here might have experience with this. or has remixed other peoples songs and posted it with no trouble at all.

im broke, so i dont waannna post it and get a call from a record company saying i owe money hahaha

3. If you aren't profiting off of it, it is not illegal. Just don't let people download it and don't sell it or make ad-money off of it. You will probably be fine but it is a legal grey area. If the artist was a dick they might try to fuck you over.

You could always claim you made those remixes for educational purposes

4. If you can, try to get a hold of them and ask permission to save yourself the trouble. If not, don't sample it - just remake the melody as closely as you can.

5. i dont plan on profitng or letting anyone download it. i dont plan on distributing it in anyway.
    its not samples, its just,,the whole song switched up and with some added stuff to sound cool.

ive contacted one artist, idk if theyre gonna even contact me back with anything or not, but im working on it.

thanks for the replies guys!