Legal question...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by cfund, Apr 29, 2012.

1. My parents came and visited this past weekend at my little place in NC. Somehow or another they figured out that I'm a small time pot head, and tried to have a "family discussion" with me, which I thought was bizarre. My dad said "you're old enough now to make your own decisions but there are some things I want you to be aware of" and proceeded to tell me loads of things about how if I'm caught with marijuana I'll be charged with a felony, and that I'll loose the right to vote. I proceeded to rebuttal his claim by saying that in the state of North Carolina marijuana is decriminalized....he argued with me. Note: My did IS a lawyer, and a very good one, and has been practicing in this state for a long long time. As you can guess, I was very thrown off by his comments, I assumed he would know better having been in law for so long. I'm aware that under certain conditions you can indeed be charged with a felony for marijuana, but only if you possess over a half ounce, and have prior convictions and so on...I'm also aware of the fact that charges MUST be dropped with first time convictions, and that no more penalties than community service or a small fine may be executed. My father proceeded to cut me off, and basically acted like I had no clue what i was talking about. He proclaimed "it's so easy to get caught and not have the intention of getting into trouble." He even illustrated the idea that police officers will wire my drug dealer and bust me that way. To which I pondered, "what is the likelihood of that happening?"

Anyway, onto my main point... I feel as though my dad may be onto something, having practiced law for so long. I can't tell if he's totally shitting me, and telling me a bunch of lies to try to make me stop. Or, if the laws really can be twisted and take small possession (which i never buy more than 3 grams at a time) and turn it into a felony. Regardless, i would love some external advice because that conversation really twisted my head...

2. It's a government conspiracy man! He's bull-shitting you.

3. Does your dads mouth ever smell like feces? Becuase he's full of shit.

4. [quote name='"Buttery"']Does your dads mouth ever smell like feces? Becuase he's full of shit.[/quote]

This^^^^^

5. corner dad in a room, and tell him 'we need to talk' and hand him this...

[​IMG]

it will help clear up his oral bullshit problem...:p

dad my be a lawyer, and been competent in his legal area of focus, but dear old dad is not a criminal lawyer is he...i.e..dad is using his expertise in how 'the law works' (as he is aware of) and ignorance of a topic to distort the truth, just like a politician...tell dad he isn't going to 'buy your vote' with his spins and lies...;)

6. North Carolina Penalties

1/2 oz or less\tmisdemeanor\tN/A\t$ 0

Keep it under a half ounce and don't get caught by you the feds (you work hard for this to happen) and you have no worries.