Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Legal for Out State Patients to Get Oregon Medical Marijuana Cards

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Slocketman, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Hope it's not been posted yet, found this article fairly interesting:

Out-of-State Patients Can Get Oregon Medical Marijuana Cards | Cannabis Culture Magazine

[​IMG][​IMG]

Out-of-State Patients Can Get Oregon Medical Marijuana Cards
    By Leland R. Berger, Opposing Views - Tuesday, July 13 2010

The Oregon Court of Appeals says law permits out of state patients to register in the state.

In State v. Berringer, (online here: Oregon Judicial Department Appellate Court Opinions) the Oregon Court of Appeals held that Oregon was not required to give a California patient's status as a patient ‘full faith and credit' (reasoning that that status created an affirmative defense within CA only) and that the California patient's federal constitutional right to travel did not protect this patient from being prosecuted and convicted under Oregon Law.

Although not a part of the holding, the Court also concluded that the application requirements of the law was ambiguous, and resolved that ambiguity by concluding that the law permits out of state patients to register here.

Initially, the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program (OMMP), acting on advice of its counsel, the Oregon Attorney General, refused to process out of state patient applications. But, on June 14, 2010, the Oregon Attorney general issued an opinion (online here: http://www.doj.state.or.us/agoffice/agopinions/op_2010_2.pdf) concluding that: “(1) The OMMA contains no Oregon residency requirement for obtaining an Oregon registry identification card; and, (2) the Oregon legislature could limit eligibility for Oregon registry identification cards to Oregon residents without violating the federal constitutional right to travel.”

In response, the OMMP has issued (http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ommp/333-008-0020_TEMP.pdf) temporary administrative rules (http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ommp/333-008-0020_TEMP_text.pdf) amending Oregon Administrative Rule 333-00800020) to facilitate the processing of out of state applications.

Tawana Nichols, the Program Director of the OMMP is quoted in The Oregon Politico
    (Medical marijuana no longer restricted to Oregon residents | The Oregon Politico...) acknowledging this change in policy.

Out of state patients who register with the OMMP will still have to have written documentation from an Oregon attending physician (MD or DO) and will have to designate an Oregon location as their grow site (as with Oregon patients, whether they have one or not).

2. I came across this as well recently, I too am curious about it. Does this mean I can drive down to oregon and get my mmj card?.. if so, I'm heading down there as soon as I can

3. Thats pretty cool... my cousin lives right across the river from portland in vancouver washington... the mmj laws are kind of strange in regard to dispensarys in washington.. But in oregon they have retail type dispensarys.:hello: