Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

LED's

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Vicious, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Anyone know the advantage of using LED's as apposed to other lights? They're quite expensive and want to know what makes them so special. Most i've seen are red so I assume they're for flowering?

2. I assume this should be in the growing section... and i know nothing about growing. But i do know that LED lights use less power and do not burn out. They come in pretty much all colors though including just white light.

3. You assume right, but I dont feel like waiting a couple days for an answer.

4. Well, I have an answer for you...

I've done the research on LED grow lighting and it's not quite up to par yet. The photosynthetic absorption curve peaks at 465 and 665nm, iirc. LEDs can emit light in a very narrow spectrum... two of the commonly available ones are 465 and 625nm diodes. You can find 660nm ones but you have to look really hard and they're pricey.

You see more red LEDs generally because the plant needs more red light than blue during flowering. Recently, more companies have started to offer red panels, blue panels, and various mixes: like 1:3, 1:2, 1:1 red:blue or blue:red.

If you look in the right places and know some electronics, you can make your own panels that output better than the commercially made ones for less money.

Over on rollitup.org there are a number of grow journals using LEDs. While the plant goes to flower and does flower, the yeilds have been small so far. There needs to be more research into how plants react under various narrow light bands so we can know exactly which light spectrums are most essential at which points of growth.

Their main advantages are their ridiculously high lumens/watt ratio, they make virtually no heat, can be placed close to plants, you can perfectly control the spectrum, even light coverage (fewer shadows/dark places), and low power consumption.

Unfortunately, affordable, effective LED technology is a few years away. But, i almost guarantee, it's the way forward.

5. there are loads of good led grow journals in the growing section man.

the main advantage to them is they produce alot less heat vs. a HPS setup. it performs well in some spectrums but falls short in others just like MH and HPS, imo its not developed enough for the price and youll still need a mixture of the two for complete spectrum,

6. I'll have to do a little more research. I'm not too worried about yield, as i could always get a high yielding strain or have several outdoor plants. One of my biggiest worries is ventilation, so if I could slight cut back, that would be enough help, as is lower energy consumption. They seems to be pretty high end though, and many say they're worth the money. I didn't know they made blue ones, I'll have to see how they compare to MH, I would love to have them for flowering, but if I'm using MH, I may as well get a swichable ballast, and if they make the blue LEDs i should go with them. Cash isn't really an option at the moment, dankness is.

I'm thinking nutes I want are gunna cost me an arm and a leg.

7. how many grows do ya got under your belt?

8. Not enough, shit's happened, like them getting pulled, or my cat eating it my fucking clones and youngins in preveg, there was another instance where I had a 10 pack germinating in a glass of water, and my mom used the comp, seen a glass there for two day and thought it was dirty, I was pissed. I've been a part of several though. Not too many, but I have confidence and what I'm doing and have a decent green thumb with other plants. If I were to have the money to invest in this, then I would want to get everything out of the way, may as well do it up. No point in getting cheap shit for a couple harveys and have to buy new shit.

9. I do believe HPS/MH have more penetrating power which means denser buds.