LED

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by fm001133, May 1, 2017.

1. Is this a bad quality LED light? I know its cheap, and its coming from Hong Kong, ive read that lights from China arent good? It has good reviews tho. I already purchased and have been using for plants for first grow, plants are 28 days old and look very healthy. Not that big, but they are autos. If the light is that bad i will buy a new one lol if its gonna effect my grow that much.
    IMG_0481.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I don't know but would like to follow your grow to see how it does since you already purchased it.
    I was looking at a similar one, it may have been the same, unsure but being made in china is why i didn't get one.
    I ended up getting this and hope i don't regret it but fear it won't fare well compared to the 600w hps i use but should be a lot cooler. should be here tomorrow and will need to build a frame.
    http://timbergrowlights.com/300-watt-citizen-clu048-6-cob-grow-light-kit/

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sorry I'm not laughing at you I'm laughing at the fact they market that as a 1000 w light. A friend of mine was going to get one and if I remember correctly I looked it up and saw the actual draw is around 300. That's a big difference

4. ya i know im kind of realized all this (afer already purchasig and using) idk if i should get a new one or not

5. If it's 700 watts less than advertised, I'd be sending it back.
    That one i ordered is 300 no-bullshit, from-the-wall watts.

6. ya i just found it its only 200 watt actual draw fucking awesome. wow. BS. i mean i could try and send it back but idk. maybe if i jus buy another one for the price? have two of them going? that light i got was on lists of best rated lights soooo

7. would two of these 200watt actual draw LED work better? do u think its worth it? or should i spend 700$ on a 350watt actual draw? these two together would be 400 watt for 300$.

8. ughh lol im stressing now. do i spend 700$ for a better light? i know that its probably worth it but

9. You pretty much get what you pay for in the way of LED lighting honestly. They flower off some beautiful buds, but they're pretty limited by the overall size of the fixture since they only shine straight down. The cheaper lights are nowhere near the quality that is out there for LED lighting. But you'll pay out the yinyang for that quality. However, if I were only going to do a small setup and just grow for my own personal use, I would invest in good lighting. It is the most important piece of equipment you will buy and is the determining factor regarding the size of your harvest. To force a MJ plant to actually grow well and produce, you must give it enough wattage of the best quality flower lighting possible. We're mimicking the sun when we grow inside, so we're at a huge disadvantage right off the bat. It's not about the space you have available to flower off plants, it's about how much wattage you have available to use for flowering a plant or a number of plants. I've found over the years that I get much better weight by flowering less plants and giving those I do flower some serious glowage. Giving them space to flower is almost as important as giving them the light to flower. You don't want to crowd up a bunch under a light that is not capable of handling several plants because you will just rob from all. You also don't want to have to raise a light just to cover all the plants you have in the room. The further away from the light your plants are, the more your plants are going to stretch to try and get to it. Light and plant need to be as close as possible (without burning them) all the way through. We run 4, 1000 watt HPS fixtures per room and flower 2 plants under each light for 10 around 10 weeks. We use soil, light and water only in Roots Original and are averaging around 5 oz a plant after cure at the moment. You can keep it very simple and get a really good yield IF you give each individual plant the light it needs to make it do it's thing. So....depending on the space you have and how many plants you would like to flower out at a time should determine the light or wattage of light you need to get it done. The 1000 watt idea is the right way to go for sure, but I don't think you'll ever get what you think you should out of that light. It may work out well for you though....all you can do is use it and see. But if you don't get the growth or the weight out of a plant you flower under it, it's probably because it's not quite what it said it was. Lots of times the people who give those reviews are people who really don't know what they're talking about. LOL If you've not had a lot of experience with lighting or have nothing to compare it to, of course you would think it's working great. It's only after using something for awhile and being able to compare yields to what others are getting, etc., that you would honestly know whether it is producing what it should. I'm just too cheap to spend the money to convert our operation over to LEDs. It would cost me a fortune at this point and the setup we have right now is working fine. Hoping the price of the better quality lights will begin to drop since legalization is becoming more widespread. The market determines pricing...which is why they can charge those ridiculous prices they do. LOL Best of luck with yours. TWW

10. Cob lights. Cheap and effective. Up to you if you want to keep it but you could use for veg depending on the spectrum. I personally will never buy those types of led lights again, the difference between that and cob/HPS is huge (as far as brightness). When I had them in the same tent it was like trying to use a laser pointer in the daytime, totally overwhelmed. Still, they can be useful since they consume less energy than cob and much less than HPS.

11. I looked up that King Plus 1000 watt. It's 10 watt diodes because it has "double chips" There is 1000watts worth of diodes in the array if you ran them at 100% full capacity.

The light is only 185 actual watts though. For the price of $149 it isn't horrible, but.... If I was going with budget led's I would have went with the roleadro 600w for $139. It's 252 watts, white instead of burple too.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01IVQ96MW/ref=twister_B06XDNNBKC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]

12. I know everyone can't afford the start up costs but I firmly believe higher end lower power led's are the best veg lights per watt by a long shot.

I bought two 90 watt California Lightworks Vegmaster 110's. They were expensive but are veg specific in spectrum.
    The plants they grow with 90 watts will drop your jaw.

I was totally thinking I was going to add 100 watt 3 cob fixture between them and at least go to 280 watts of veg in my 4x4. 180 wats in a 4x4 is so poverty it's almost embarrassing. But then I started growing a few crops with them. I had to start giving plants away because they veg so many so large.

Now I've decided I'm not going to do anything to my veg tent for now because it's doing so good for the electric price. I'm going to concentrate on replacing my bloom lights by the end of this year one at a time.

I just don't think that 180 watts of fluoros in a 4x4 could do this for me.
    [​IMG]

I just put this plant in bud. Previous to that it was in that veg jungle but on only one side of the tent. That means it was raised sharing 90 watts of light. Does this plant look like it was vegged sharing 90 watts for 2 months to you? This can't be done with 90 watts of anything but LED light.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. How bout this on? Ive seen mixed reiviews about Mars, but this is a 1200w (actual 550) and has veg and bloom switch. 400$

IMG_0484.JPG

14. #17 Tbone Shuffle, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Mars 1200's were not bad lights but they're 2-3 year or more old tech now. The reliability was marginal. If you're up for a decent investment in some led bloom lights cobs have been the way to go for a while. They're spendy. A lot of people buy the parts and build them.
    400 Watt Vero29 V7 Square Framework

Check this link out. Great prices. Almost sold out but they'll get more stock.

DIY

• Like Like x 1
  15. so, after debating, and thinking......im gonna spend the money for a good light! now, which one? lol. they are all about 6-800$

blackdog LED 200w was recommended to me, said its the best LED on the market, replaces 400w HPS. but i have a 5x5 tent, too small?

california lightworks solarsystem 550

kind led 600

16. +1 for the COBs.

Look into these.

17. #20 Tbone Shuffle, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    There's been a bit of a quick evolution in the led market over the last 3-5 years. Large higher powered panels came out like the mars, platinum, blackdog, california lightworks, and others. Most of them are burple colored lights meaning your grow room is going to hurt your eyes to look at. This generation of lights IMO was the first that were actually considerably better watt for watt then HPS. About 20-30% more efficient depending on model but they still cost a lot with some like the platinums near $2 per actual watt of power. These are almost all based on single 3 and 5 watt diodes in rectangular arrays. They're fan cooled and in sealed boxes so you don't generally know much about the internal quality of the parts.

My led's are in this generation. I veg with California Lightworks vegmasters and bloom with platinum lights. I can tell you that I'm ready to upgrade seeing the newer stuff out. My lights still grow great bud but the efficiency in grams per watt is much lower then people have been able to achieve with cobs.

Shortly after that the tech got better around 2014-15. LED's based on new COB leds came out. COB stands for Chip on Board. These are build like cpus where hundreds of miniature leds are printed on small circuit boards of different sizes. The most popular size is the 30mm circle over the last few years. Cree, Citizen, and Vero all build high power high quality cob manufactured leds with white light based on the 30mm cob size. Many companies make parts like heatsinks and lenses to attach to these parts. It's like building your own gaming computer but you build your own light. You can customize your own power levels and layout.

If you're not into that there's companies building pre built cob lights like the link I gave you earlier. Just to show you what these lights can do here's a popular video from about a year and a half ago so the prices are out of wack but the dude gets 1.9grams per watt.

Here's a decent kit building resource. Rapid LED

Some of the newest lights just coming around are cheaper then the cob kits. These cheaper cobs are mostly smaller rectangular arrays with leds made by samsung and others.
    260W QB LED Kit
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2