Led vs HPS

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Can_bud, Aug 24, 2016.

1. So I made a newbie thread and someone made a comment about my light choice.

I'm planning on buying a viparspectra 600 Led off Amazon. I made this choice because I only need to produce enough to have 35-40g per month so I've decided in a 3x3 tent with two plants.

My question is: I went to a local shop who said they no longer sell Led because they are inferior and to get the same results as a 400w hps I would need to get an LED. That pulls 400 Actual watts. Basically meaning I would need the viparspectra 900 that pulls 400 from the wall. That means there is no real point to getting a Chinese LED, when I could get a high end Hps from down the street from me if my hydro bill will be the same.

So my question is can I go with the 600 Led and have a good light that will last a few years and save me per month or should I just go with the Hps?

2. I think it's accurate to say that you need close to equal wattage with an LED as an HID. In my opinion, the value with LED is with long term maintenance cost savings (assuming it's a quality LED) and that it generates less heat, which is only important if you otherwise would have to go to difficult measures to exhaust the heat from an HID.

I think you would probably be best off buying a 400 or 600 watt HID fixture with adjustable ballast. I've only used an LED fixture but it's a big one that draws ~740 watts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buy two lights ,one for each plant 300-400 watt LED . don't worry about comparisons LEDs require less coolng , HPS run very HOT ,HPS require buying a new bulb every year , LEDs can last for 10 years or more ,LED can be closer to the plants and the spectrum is fine tuned for growing . You can easily make your goal ... shop ebay its cheaper
    300W LED Grow Light Lamp Full Spectrum Panel Veg Flower for Medical Indoor Plant

4. I have a 400w hps rig and then a while ago I got an led panel that pulls 261w. I'd say hands down the led is better than the hps.

5. What kind of led did you buy?

• Like Like x 1
  6. It's this. https://amzn.com/B0185OLBPK

for the 2 months I've had it I haven't had any issues. I my signature there's a link to my mainline grow and I'm using this light for it

7. Ah I've been reading that the veg stage is good with them and is the flower where you notice the diffrence. I'm really skeptically I may just go with hps and get the led later

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. When my 2 newest ones were in veg they seemed to do real well under the led. I was pretty skeptical as well what got me to buy the led was the RF disruption the ballast was putting out.

9. I had led and hps/mh and currently the LED lights are not being used. I upgraded my 4x4 room to add a 8z8 tent and I went with 4 600 watt lights running on 220v. I get a better product than the LED would produce. The LED light caused light bleaching in some of my plants and I prefer to use what's been proven to work. The new ceramic lights have been producing great yield but I think it's still to early to invest in new lights. Others like double ended lights but they require a/c and 10 ft ceilings due to the intense light and heat. You can't go wrong with a decent digital ballast and both hps and Mh bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  10. I got into leds and got back out and busted back out my faithful hids. Leds make good side lighting for me but didn't give me what I wanted. And yes wattage can only be compared equally. The reason leds list a higher wattage then what the light pulls is that's the max the diodes can handle. They're ran at less so they last longer. It has nothing to do with what they're equivelant too. I thought that's what it meant when I first bought an led based on what I had been told by uninformed growers but after emailing manufactures found out its not. It's just a play on advertising to sell more. Leds still put off heat into the grow that needs to be handled. I run cool hoods, the vast majority of heat from my hids doesn't ever make it into my grow.

• Like Like x 1
  11. go with hps long as you can move the heat

12. If you have a cool hood or cool tube that's set up correctly and your incoming temps are in range, the heat from hids is easy to handle. Problem seems to be most people who experience issues have a bad set up, underpowered fan or incoming temps that are already too high.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thank you everyone, hps it is

14. I run viparspectra LED with great results in a 2 x 4 tent doing 2 plants. Controlling heat and humidity is effortless and I had no change in power bill even while running a 6 inch inline.

15. I have the 1600w version of this light. I'm a new grower and I pulled 12 zips dried and cured from 7 plants in a 2x4x5 tent on my first grow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I just ordered the 900w today, should be here tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Great...enjoy! I'd like to see the progress.

18. You probably get a better response starting a new thread as I'm the only one that will receive a notification about your reply here.

No I haven't used a dimlux before. Currently using a Hortilux full spectrum.

Maybe do a give away and let people review your product?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app