LED vs HPS,MH, Floro

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by t33to, May 28, 2008.

1. I really want to know if you can replace any of the lights in the indoor growing phases with LED's.

2. LED's dont even compare to HPS or MH lighting yet.. but in the near future they will be made a lot better, hopefully..

3. What do you mean they don't even compare? Do you have some science to prove that?

I know the 'light' output is far lower, but if it's still the right kind of light (same spectrum) then you could easily just buy many LED lights to combine the total light output could you not?

4. well if any of you read high time look at the hidhut i think the UFO its RED AND BLUE LED'S which are great for bud NOT WHITE LIGHT THE PLANTS DONT NEED WHITE LIGHT THEY NEED BLUE AND RED THUS MH AND HPS. the ufo light uses 80 watts and puts out more usable power than a 400watt hps or mh. The results were this. The led's beat the 400 watt hps, and almost beat the 600 watt hps BUT the 600 had a little bit more weight of buds but the led had a higher thc content because the plant had prettymuch the right color spectrums it needs for growth. The ufo is $600 but you will save that back in energy costs and not show up on THERMAL IMAGING CHOPPERS MUHAHAHA. Thus you can grow your bud without industrial strenght exhaust fans and stuff the ufo has built in fans so it keeps the led's cool but it puts out almost no head. I want one seriously it was part 2 of three in febuary 2008 issue. So for those people that talk shit read about it before you run your mouth, apperently sheeba has a bad rating for a reason dont listen to him just do a little searching This is what hit hut said The LED UFO is the most revolutionary plant lighting product since the inception of High Pressure Sodium lamp. Consuming only 80 watts of power and producing virtually no heat, it boasts light intensity and growth rates exceeding that of a 400W HPS.

The concept of the LED UFO is simple – it uses highly efficient 1 watt LED’s, uses only the exact spectrums required for photosynthesis, and uses wide angle directional bulbs. The 1 watt LED is one of the most efficient light sources in the world (lumens per watt). By using only the spectrum required, no light is wasted in the spectrums of light that do little or nothing for a plants growth – such as green light. Lastly the directional LED’s ensure 100% of the light is pointed downwards – they do not rely upon reflective materials to direct the light.

Benefits include:
    - Greatly reduced power consumption
    - Less Heat Generated
    - Ideal for all phases of plant growth
    - No setup required
    - Less Pollution
    - Extremely long life - 80,000+ hours

The LED UFO is many times over the highest powered LED grow light available. It can be used by itself for all cycles of plant growth (covers 9 square feet), can be combined with fluorescent lighting, or can be used to expand your current indoor garden. It can be used in any application – hydroponics or soil, home or greenhouse!

The LED UFO includes the LED light, a ballast, and hanging hardware. The Cord between the ballast and the wall outlet is 6', the cord between the ballast and the LED lamp is 12'. The LED array (pictured) is equipped with three thermostatically controlled whisper quiet fans to keep the LED lamps cool.

http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/the-led-ufo-p-1372.html?osCsid=2ea5b11711c8f28156d6e3e7b6ee4d4d

5. their ok for veg, they wont out perform a HID setup. dont even think of flowering with just LED either

6. they will out perform a 400 watt hps or mh man it was all tested high times did it side by side a 400 w hps and a ufo and a 400 mh and the ufo the ufo beat them both in yield and potency the only thing is in the side by side with a 600 watt hps and the ufo the 600 had a little big more yield but the ufo had more potency. THOSE ARE PROVEN FACTS DONE ON CALI-O IN HIGH TIMES FEBUARY 2008 ISSUE SO DONT SAY DONT THINK OF FLOWERING JUST LED'S DOOBER. iVE read your journal already pretty good but you cant nock something you know NOTHING about man

7. all i know about leds i from what i have seen here on the forums, personaly i would not flower under led`s. i never aid they werent good, i just stated that they need to be used in conjunction with one another

its all good man we can agree to disagree, i stand by my statement, ive seen hightimes, decent results but ive never seen it done again anywhere, its a great technology its just still under developed is all im saying, when they hammer it out later down the road it may be the way to go, who`s to say, but right now led`s are just not powerful enough and are way to expensive

8. ill agree with that man 600 for a 400 equivelant we both are going off of reading and not personal experience and i cant afford 600 damn u could but allot of 400 watt hps and the ufo lasts 80000 hours so once the led's burn out then what im not sure about that ill stick with hps tho later dude

9. The guys at my local grow shop tried one out....they said you might as well hold a lighter over the plants instead. I think in concept it is great, but we may need to wait a year or two for technology to catch up to it. Once the tech. is there, and led's can keep up with the heavy artillary, I'll be picking some up for sure!!

10. the problem with led systems is the lumen output. my hps light gives out 53,000 lumens
    im having problems finding exact numbers on led lumens but a flourecent setup is only 20,000 lumens so led must be AT LEAST a mere 12,000 lumens or some crap (based off of conjecture and educated thought).

11. but with the lumens in MH and HPS alot are wasted color spectrum that provides no benefit to the plant what so ever. With LED lights you can custom tune the diodes to the spectrum you desire and thats what they have done with the LEDs used in the ufo and other grow setups.

they do appear to be dimmer but the plant is actually getting the same light they do from a 400W mh or hps you just cant tell with the human eye.

I have used a UFO with good results from veg to flower. but for the price i continue to stick with MH/HPS at this time as it is not feaseable for me to buy 8 UFOs to convert my grow room.

12. 80,000+ hours is around 9 years thats pretty crazy if you take into account the power usage the price for replacing your bulbs on a normal HPS, MH setup these Leds save money in the long run.

13. yeah saves money on bulbs but in that nine years it will pay for itself in power savings too

14. and led's lumens are totally irrelevent, but the japs made a 2"x2" led that emits 200,000 lumens, current price is a million dollars so i wonder how long it will take for the price of that to come down

15. From a well known seller of MJ lights I frequent often and I have probably put his kids thru college he says and I quote "LEDs are crap and the only reason we sell them is because our competition sells them." He also stated "If ya wanta grow, do what the commercial growers do and reduce it to your scale."

I have done that and couldn't be happier.

There comes a point in your life when ya have to stop shinning a turd.

16. I was turned on to LED grow lights about 4 years ago and I've used all 3 genereations of the lights. The latest 3rd generation of LED gro lights i.e: Supernova, Sunshine Systems Grow Panels and the UFO. The LED lights are excellent for use and in numerous studies you can find online the UFO out-performed the 400w HPS, MH in vegetive growth. HOWEVER, if you want the biggest, commercial buds possible you want a majority of the red/orange spectrum to give the plant the optimum light for flower growth. So, you want to use a HPS light during the flowering stage. You can also throw the HPS light in with the LED since the LEDs don't give off virtually any heat, so burning and charring of your plants won't be something you need to worry about...

17. 300w led $1000(min)+

400hps ballast with a mh and hps bulb $235 FTW

18. u also have to take in effect that LEDs are 85% more energy efficient and it costs a 300w LED $1.35 avg. to run a day as opposed to the HID 1000w which take almost 5$ a day to run. u save about 100$ a month in electricity. not only that the bulbs are guaranteed for 10 years. The HID bulbs cost a chunk of cash depending on who u buy it from and they are changed once a year or every 2 years if they don't burst like they're known for doing. So the whole cost of the LEDs vs the HID is over time goes in favor of LEDs. IVe used them for years and they are great. i do like to use HPS during the flower to increase that red spectrum and get those nuts buds

19. Sorry but a 300W LED will not produce the same as a 1000W HID light no matter how many snake oil salesmen say it will.