LED vs HPS for obscuring electricity usage

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by vvhelden, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Hi all,

I'm considering the move from outdoor to indoor growing and right now, looking into any stealth factors with regards to light systems.

I've heard that certain suspicious electricity usage (eg: 12 hour light cycles) can raise red flags that are supposedly monitored by various law enforcement bodies.

I want sufficient lighting to grow 4 plants (although space is not really limited).  With regards to electricity usage and being able to "hide usage better", would there be a significant advantage in using an LED system vs HPS (both of equivalent wattage OUTPUT)?

Side Note:
    From searching this forum, I have noted that the advertised wattage on LED systems does not equate to their true wattage as could be compared with a HPS system.  This is why I say "both of equivalent wattage output" above.

Thanks all!  Any info is much appreciated (I have a lot of research to do yet).

Cheers,

Vince

2. Would love some feedback on this question also, will be ordering my stuff to start my firstbsmall grow (5 plants) in the middle of next month

3. dude, if you want to use a lot of power for your plants, it will still raise suspicion if you want to use leds equal to a 600w hps.

i dont get your equivalent watts idea. if we are talking yields/plant size etc, then you need somewhat less wattage with leds for the same result, but like i said, if you want to replace 600w hps, you will still need like 400-500w of led lights. watts are watts dude. only problem is that on commercial led lights the output written is bogus. lets say its a lamp with 50 3w diodes, manufacturer will say its 50*3= "150w" power, although it will use much less at the plug, since power= current * voltage drop

e.g. a 3w blue chip uses ~3V and is supposed to run at lets say 700mA to last longer, the power used is 0.7*3= 2.1 W, not 3W

4. #4 vvhelden, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2013
    Thanks xilw3r!

That clears things up a bit for me.

So to expand upon this with another practical example, if you had a room or tent big enough for four large pots (1 plant in each pot) what would you estimate is required for a "HPS system" and then also a "LED system" to do the same job. 
    * Assume cost is not a factor.
    * I realise that the light spectrums put out by HPS vs LED are different, and that there are probably a variety of lighting products available of varying quality, so an approximate equivalent systems will do.

With your practical example lighting systems, if you could also give me an approximate wattage for each (if you don't know the actual wattage used), that would be awesome!

Am I making sense?  Also, I hope I'm not asking too much with the example HPS/LED systems.  :)

Cheers,

V

5. #5 Rumpleforeskin, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
    One watt is one watt no matter what type of lamp uses it.

LEDs need to be a lot closer to the top's of the plant to work properly, so if your lamp is close to one plant's tops, then it won't be close to the others. HID lamps have a wider footprint, because they can be further from your plants and still be effective.

Watt for watt you will grow a pound of weed a lot faster using HIDs.

6. #6 Vee, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
    In many places early spring is about to hit, and is a great opportunity for guerrilla growers to start germing now for an early plant out come the last of the frosts in about 2-3 months, germing now you could have a 1 gallon stretched plant to 3 ft high, with the last month or so under HPS lights for that crucial stretch look ideal to planting in a 2 foot hole...think about that!

Unless you have one of those smart meters or a mother thats just too nosy, then you consumption of electricity would be absorbed easily into your typical lifestyle, as most MH/HPS(400w) use the same mount of wattage per month as a large sound system , rail road track hobbyist, petrol head, band, etc etc

Stick with what you know, and improve on that 

7. Thanks for the feedback RumpleF and Vostok.  Much appreciated!

8. #8 PeterParker, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014
    How do you figure? The goal is specifically useable light for the plant and not HEAT and not lumens (which is also energy / watts). then no one watt is not one watt no matter the lamp. 

More remarkable is HID spreads light everywhere, lights everything up compared to LED which are more focused.

Most remarkable is the usable light for the plant, LED wins hands down and for obvious reasons.

So in sum, LED is far far more efficient than HID for plants. For lighting (& heating ahahaha) a stadium, HID is far better.

As far as your electricity usage of course one watt is one watt, whether it be your stove, dishwasher or LEDs growing plants. The idea is using less power then HID for the same results.

9. #9 Rumpleforeskin, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014
    One watt used is one watt used. You can use that one watt in your TV or for your grow lamp, it is billed to you the same way.

You can say stuff like LEDs are more efficient, more remarkable, cooler running, produces more usable light, have friendlier sales guys, but what you can't say is what we all know now...... Watt for watt HIDs grow weed much better and faster. 

Keep the sales pitch, give me more quality bud in less time.
    Not real rocket science here.

R.

10. its been proven its the same

shit is just that and severly underrated.

Claim of 300 watts and only drawing 130.....

The true high end LEDs produce more heat than HID