LED or LES which is better?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by REALSTYLES, Aug 6, 2015.

1. This thread is to inform and educate you about this type of lighting and we'll take a poll to see where your thoughts stand on this topic. And when you vote please explain why you made your chose.

2. No one here wants to discuss this? Does anyone even know what LES is?

3. Not doing a very good job of informing and educating. all you have done is speak of light emitting surface in acronym.

4. I wanted to see if someone knew the difference and you sir know. But why are they called LES instead of LED?

5. I have no clue I have only ever seen a video about them once used as artificial skylights in apartment suites.

I don't know anything about them or if they can be used for horticultural purposes.

6. The Vero and Cree COB's are considered LES due to multiple diodes attached in series on a surface and it's the yellow on the chip on board modules

[​IMG]

LED is this and these are Cree

[​IMG]

7. LES means light emitting surface. The LES is used to rate the surface area of light in newer standard LED bulbs.

8. Check this fixture out it's using Bridgelux and Meanwell drivers a bit pricey but you can make one for 40-60% cheaper

[​IMG]

9. Isn't asking if LED or LES is better kind of like asking if HPS or HID lamps better?
    basically the same, one is a Diode and the other is a Surface but the surface is simply made of multiple diodes?
    Or, I might be completely wrong... :p

10. Back to the original question... So which is better?

Would running 100w of LES vs 100w of 5w LED chips put out more photons per joule?

11. #11 REALSTYLES, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
    Thank you now we can go further with this topic. The cob wins for it's efficiency 2 cobs 100w and about 40 5w diodes to match., plus Cree CXB is 2015 technology. @Icemud great question to ask btw. I was waiting for someone to come with the right question.

12. This why LES is better than LED