LED lights with pics

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by LEDguru, May 12, 2006.

1. Looks good, but you sure you have enough LED's? will be interesting to watch.

2. Smkn, as little as I've heard about LED growing, i'm very interesting. Keep this thing updated as I'm pulling up a chair.

Cause you have no fan, I'm assuming the LED's put off nearly no heat whatsoever. right? Good luck with the grow and keep me posted as I know nothing about LED growing. I'm always up for a little learning.

3. someone in another site is experimenting w/ blue holiday lights+fluoros. seems like a good idea

4. I'm not an expert on this, but I think that using just blue lights wouldn't be good for the plant. I think that it will be better if you put in a few redlights for the vegetative stage.

5. :eek: wow very interested in seeing how this turns out, as well as very heavily considering converting to LED lights, as a test to see how an entire room takes to the lighting vs. the one plant.:rolleyes: innovative guys, real slick.
    K+

6. Probably not. We will most likely need to add more based on how they are growing so far.

Hi Senior welcome.
    The lights put off less heat than a 23 watt CFL I would say. The ballast puts out very little heat as well. The room has stayed a constant 72-74 degrees.

There is one green light amongst the blue ones. I will probably turn on the reds this week or next to see if there is a difference.

I will take pics of them tomorrow. So far they are of no comparison to a 400 watt HPS for example and seem to be growing slower. Maybe that's just because I am used to growing from clones.

7. In the beginning I was actually looking into getting some LED's similar to those and making my own fixture. They were pretty high powered ones, I'll definitely be one of your buddy's first customers if all works out. The solar oasis bar I have probly won't do a plant well by itself, and I'd like to be running mostly LED in my garden some day. I agree with gravity about turning the red ones on too though. Really glad to see this grow, I'd +rep you but it wont let me yet.

Question: Is there really a ballast? Or is it just like a transformer or something because I was under the impression that LED's don't need a ballast.

8. That's OK. You may +rep me first.

SmknVTEC how many Watts of power do those blue led arrays of yours consume?
    I know LEDs have a better efficiency W/lumen but I want to see how many Watts it actually takes.
    Also, do you know of any CHEAP LED suppliers?
    Most I see here in the Netherworld are XXXXX-tremely XXXXX-pensive.

9. Actually folks my friend said under no circumstances should I turn on the reds. The red at this stage will cause it to stretch too much and the stems will droop and the plant will fall.

It a "power supply".

The big light hanging over the plants gives off just 40 watts in the blue spectrum (blue bulbs turned on only).
    Sorry, I know of no cheap LED suppliers.

Here are todays pictures. They are now about 2-3 inches away from the bulbs and are 7 days old since poking through the soil. There is no question in my mind now if LED will grow weed. The leaves look nice, green and normal. The plants are about 3 inches tall and look only a little stretched out probably due to the light being 4-5 inches away but now they are fine. Let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

10. the little buggers look a little stretched. How does the growth rate compare to your other grows?

11. It has been a while since I have grown from seed but, it seems like growth is a little slower. Usually I think my seedlings get to be about a foot tall after a month under a 400 watt HPS. We will see how long it takes for them to get a foot tall with the LED's.

12. hey buddie they look a bit stretched but im sure they will stop soon and they are still green green green keep up the good work and interesting lights:)

13. He said they are stretched because the lights are so close, so everyone doesn't need to tell him that "they look a little stretched out".

14. LoL
    It's cool Jimi. Actually they got stretched because the lights were too far from the plants not too close. The lights are much closer now so in time, the stretch will be irrelevant.

15. It says right there on the site that you can use them for it...

16. There is a reason why the lights are only $20; you get what you pay for and they don't work very well. Also, remember I said that red can't be used during veg. If you do use them the plant will be all stretched and very leggy. It might grow better than incandescent light though.

17. Hi guys,
    Here they are at two weeks old. They are about 4-4.5 inches tall. It looks like one was almost touching a bulb and got slightly burned. Otherwise, I think they look pretty good considering how few watts this thing has. I think by this point with my 400 watt HPS, they would be around 6 inches tall, and so the LED's are not too far behind.

I do think that they need a fan, even though they stand up on their own the stems are pretty week. Growing under the HPS with no fan however they would have fallen over. Also, per my associate's recommendation, I will be putting them on 22/2 tonight so they get a couple hours of sleep.

Attached Files:

18. well i must say im impressed as theyve grown this far from a set of LED's, but those stems looks scarily thin! they msut surely be on the border of tipping over? get a fan in there asap or theyre gonna be face down in the dirt, good luck.

19. Yes,
    I am all about the fans. I always recommend people get fans. However, my friend, the designer of the lights, says they can grow without the fans. So far he is right but the stems are pretty skinny. A while longer and I will probably get a fan in there. Also, tonight marks the first night of 22/2 lighting, a schedule I also do not really recommend but just going on my associates advice.