LED lighting solution

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Greenottz, May 3, 2013.

1. I wanna grow with LEDs. I love LEDs.

Low temperature, low running costs etc. The bonuses are prevalent.

But we all know that the lights themselves arent that bright, and hence a load is needed, running up the costs.

My pretty simple idea is to use blocks of only red and blue LED lights.. This would theoretically need 1/3 less LED lights to grow successfully (since green light is wasted when reflected)

This has a couple of advantages as far as i can see. Firstly, less energy and less actual lights are needed. And secondly, you could change the warmness of the light by changing the ratio of red to blue lights.. these could be used for the different stages or for messing with the plants (i know they use this growing method in urban farms and can change ratios to produce bigger or greener or whatever)

What you guys thinking on this? Just an idea at this time..

2. When LEDs first hit the market thats all they had Red and Blue...shittest thing ever no matter what the wattage was. LED makers learned real fast that plants require many bands of the spectrum. Some are up to 11 now.

Ones I use have have 5 bands and to include white.

On power well if you want a serious light you need wattage. My big boy panel is pulling 690 watts with everything on and that still hits the energy bill and it generates a fair amount of heat. I still require a inline fan to cool my tent.

I have a buddy with a 900w LED from another maker same deal.

There is essentially no savings cost as to go up in wattage you spend a fortune.

Even with all of that you still do not simulate a full spectrum. Last couple years they found that contrary to belief that Cannabis was utilizing the yellow spectrum. They are not sure for what but a response is induced from it. So the more spectrum the better.

Its why Plasma Lighting if it ever takes off and is cheaper will be ideal. That is as close as humans can get to reproducing the sun indoors.

3. Plasma....Drool....Droool ...........P....L...A.....S...M...A....Drooool.....!

4. Wish they were cheap man. That light blows every light ever made out of the water. Total spectrum