LED lighting questions.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Nosnaitsirch, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Picture this in your mind if you will.

An 8' x 26' room with four 4' x 4' ScroGs set up runningdown the middle of the room length ways.

Each ScroG has 1 plant growing under it.

Each ScroG has 2' of space all the way around it from thewalls and the other ScroGs. I do this so I have access to each plant from allfour sides.

Now, since this is the layout of my setup here is what I'mwondering about getting the right LED light systems:

1. Do I put a single high wattage LED light directly overthe center of each 4' x 4' ScroG?

2. Do I put more than one lower wattage lights over eachScroG?

3. Are there high enough wattage LED's and do LED's giveenough “Cast Off” light that if I go with enough wattage I can hang one LEDcentered between two ScroGs and another centered between the other two ScroGs?

I have contacted a few companies that sell LED's and afew growers who use LED's and the answers I get to these questions are all overthe board. Some, I think, don't really care about anything other than sellingme more lights so they make more money. As we all know LED grow lights are veryexpensive. I want to buy as cheaply as possible but still want the biggest bangfor my buck so to speak. Can someone please give me yourrecommendations. Some of you I've contacted before and I apologize if I'm beinga bother with all these questions. It's just that I am 100% totally new at thisLED thing and I need some educated advice on the topic. Someone will mostdefinitely get my business and it will depend on a matter of how much I trustwhat they have to say.

Thank you in advance for your time and attention in thismatter.

Sincerely,

RtS

2. All the tops must be within a few inches of the lamp, so we are talking about a lot of lamps or some real big ones. For this setup you have better options and less expensive options. Big rooms can be lighted with a few HIDs for very little cash.

3. I'm looking for heat reduction and electric bill reduction by going with LED's and I'm told they produce more. I do understand the LED's are very expensive and that is why I'm trying my best to find out exactly the right ones for my setup. Thanks for your advice.

4. #4 shadow51020, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
    This guy uses apollo LEDs on a light mover.

Indoor LED grow room OREGON medical Marijuana September 2012 turning back to the indoor - YouTube

I use apollo led lights as well and i order them from the manufacturer in china. The guy in the video above got the lights from the same place. If you pm me your email i will send the price list i got from them about a year ago to you. Prices have dropped since, but you can have something close at least. I can't upload an excel spreadsheet as an attachment.

5. Do you have a web address link for the company you bought from? What does pm mean in pm me your e mail?

6. You have the yields part backwards, LEDs will produce less yields than HIDs (only the sales guys and a few misguided consumers will tell you different),. You can save some power on your ventilation system (that you willl still have to install with no matter what lamp you go with) and CO2 injection, but the lights will use the same amount of power as HIDs of the same wattage.
    LEDs cost more and yield less.

7. I've had one guy tell me to alternate with HID's and LED's throughout the light hours to cool and warm the room.
    I've been growing for 3 years with HID's and CFL's exactly that way. Going by what I've been told and read through 50 or so people and articles and websites, I see zero advantage in my going to LED's. I was going to do it to reduce heat even more and save on my electric bill while increasing yeild slightly and possibly increasing THC percentage. I'm thinking the cost of the LED's would take a very very long time to get back through my electric bill by replacing what I'm already doing with my CFL's with LED's. You even say yeild is reduced. And you say LED's cost more and yeild less so what the hell would anyone buy LED's for?
    I've been searching the internet for days. Blogs, forums, grow light companies and you. I'm trying to find an even ground where all answers average out to roughly the same in order to determine what LED's I should purchase but there are no two people saying the same thing out of 50 or so. There is one other guy that said to use LED's until you go into flower and then switch back to HPS, or maybe the other way around, can't remember now. He is the only one that says that. All the others say the LED's can be used for the entire grow and will produce bigger yields or higher THC but how they all use them varies.
    So two people out of about 50 people now are the only ones saying that you should use LED's along with HID's just as I do with CFL's and Hid's. Everyone else somewhat fits into a situation of telling me roughly to use one 270 to 400 watt LED light fixture over each 4 x 4 foot grow area or four 80 or 90 watt LED's over each grow area. No one else but those two ever suggest in any way to use any lighting other than LED. Some are light sellers, some are just growers, some are both.
    Thanks, but there are no two stories alike in the realm of LED's so I'm not buying any until there is some sound advice out there and a consensus on what LED's will do and how to use them. Every person I've spoke to, every website I go to, and every article I read are all vastly different in what they say LED's will do and how to use them. There is nearly zero consensus out there on these topics. With the research I've done I can't understand why anyone would buy LED's for grow lights at this time. The technology is in dire need of more advancement.

8. LED lights for growing is still experimental. There is no "perfect" way to do it yet. LED growing is starting to become more mainstream. But there are a handful of people on the various forums who bash LED panels every time they get a chance. MY guess is that it is people who bought crap LED panels early on when 1w diodes were standard and they are angry because they wasted their money.

If you want to just be able to go somewhere and buy a light without researching what components it uses than a LED panel is definetly not for you. You've gotta do your homework in order to get the right LED panel.

There are many opinions to the contrary that LED lights yield less, just ask Dutch Passion about their highest yielding Auto Mazar. Alot of people are going to tell you that it yields less because of their personal experience. Everybody's grow room is different, what works in one room won't in the next.

9. Yep, like I said, no real consensus between a lot of people on how to use or if LED's are even any good to use. I'm waiting for the technology to advance before buying. Hell, I've been getting 3/4 to 1 pound per plant of good quality medicine for 2 years now, doing it my way without the LED's, not giving that up to do some experimenting on unproen technology. Thanks for your help though.

10. I just ordered an Apollo 8 from cidly per shadows recommendation. It was pretty cheap compared to all the others. ended up costing $323 total. Should be getting it pretty soon. I'll post my results and thoughts