LED Lighting Comparison

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Corkwheats, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Okay, this newbie has been scared away from the cheapies on Amazon.
    However, my pocketbook isn't that deep.
    So, my plan is:
    Buy some of the smaller size higher quality lights (maybe 1 every couple weeks) and use them together (because I can't afford to just purchase a couple of the $800 big ones).
    So, with that in mind, I like opinions on these 2:

HLG 100 V2

Spider farmer SF1000 Led Grow Light Full Spectrum Samsung LM301B diodes Dimmable MeanWell Driver

I realize that one isn't going to cover that much, but if I keep installing more, little by little, that should work, right? I will have a fairly large grow room - probably about 10X16 Veg, and 16X16 Flower.

Thanks!

2. You should also give a look at the Fissioning boards on Amazon. I have four of the 120W panels and love them. They're cheaper than the HLG 100 or Spider Farmer (with the coupon) and it's more watts/diodes than either. And yes, you can get away with less light on veg. By the time you make the switch, though, you should have the whole space covered, so that doesn't give you much time to collect lights, lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3. the investment pays itself off quickly...if you can afford get a high quality adjustable, full spectrum, and with high quality cooling abilities. basically if you could pay off a high quality horticulture standard type of light within a few years do it if you can afford it.

4. Yeah............I mean you CAN do what you are talking about and go small in numbers............but you have quite a bit of grow room in your ROOMS...........so if you can spring for the bigger ones.........I PERSONALLY think you should.....but again.....what the FUK am I? :lmafoe::passing-joint:

5. Are you ok with some basic DIY? You could get a much better and cheaper light if you build it yourself.
    qb288 V1's are on sale now at HLG for $29 each, you could get 2 or 3 boards and a power supply for the same price of that qb100 on amazon.
    QB288 V1 Quantum Board

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks Everyone!
    The Scooby option sounds like a potentially good fit for me.
    I have been (still am) a service technician (Office Equipment) for 33 years. I have a small farm here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan that I am trying to retire to. The new laws (and my large basement) may just be the ticket for me!
    Now, for a couple dumb newbie questions:
    I have heard some of the guys speaking about "boards", etc., but didn't quite understand what the deal was.
    I've been looking at the "plug-n-play" lights.
    The concept of building my own sounds great! It's actually right up my alley.
    So, aside from these QB288 "boards", what else would I need to purchase?
    Is there a thread that tells, step by step, how to assemble the whole deal?

Thanks so much for the help! I'm psyched!
    -Bob

7. Bob
    if you are comfortable with the DIY route, which is sounds like you are, than you have a lot of options and definate cost savings, especially with the size areas you have to fill.

As Sc00by mentioned, those 288 boards are a great value and easy way to get started. but many options. The ones he refers to are very inexpensive because they are the "older model" board. grows just as good now as it did when it was new, it's just the newer less are simply more efficient. no big surprise, newer technology is more expensive.

to start, a "board" typically refers to a PCB board filled with individual LED's. the "standard" layout usually is around 288 lets per board although that can vary infinitely and "boards" can be different sizes, shapes, and LED count.
    Boards can be run/powered individually or in groups. Boards are generally powered by what is called a "driver". In other lingo the driver is your power transformer to plug the boards into the wall.
    boards, strips, whatever, can be wired in series or parallel, depending on the board/strip layout, boards voltage requirements, or driver type.
    and it's actually easier than how it sounds from my description LOL

one place to start, if even just for basic info although it's a bit old now is here. This guy practically showed everyone how to DIY these kind of lights.

and here on the HLG site will also give you lots of info in their guide section.
    Horticulture Lighting Group Premium LED Grow Lights for Agriculture

hope this helps you at least get started on your DIY journey :)
    since you are already a tech on electronics and mechanical items this literally should be a breeze for you to get the hang of!

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. If you just google "DIY quantum board" or "DIY led frame" you will find tons of info, there are many ways to build em.
    Here are a couple i found on a quick search

As for materials, basically all you need is some copper wire (solid core unless you can solder the tips) some wire connectors, a power plug for the driver and then something to make a frame (optional) and a way to hang them lke some ratchets or light hangers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Okie Dokies. So, let's say I want to go with the QB288 V1 Boards......Check!
    The other things I'll need to purchase to get it going are: ____________ Check!
    I'm attempting to come up with a price.
    How many drivers will I need to run 4 boards?
    What (specific) type of drivers do I need, and where do I buy them?
    Aside from that, the electrical cord, wire, etc.
    Can somebody sorta just write out a parts list, as if they were going to buy a few QB288 V1 Boards, and get them going?

Thanks

10. The driver you determine. Do you want to control the boards individually or all together? Do you want to dim the lights?

11. I believe you'd get the most out of those with an HLG-480H-54. I believe the A variant has a built in dimmer. B variant, you can wire your own with a potentiometer. I prefer B myself, but A is convenient.

I'm not sure why HLG doesn't list it with their recommendations. They have the 320w and 600w versions listed. Anyway, this pretty much lists everything you can use and how to wire them.

QB288 V1,V2,V2Rspec Board Guide

12. The 54a does not have a dimmer. The 54b has the dimmable option. You can buy a dimmer online or make one yourself. 100k potentiometer and 10k resistor. A little solder and wiring.

You can run two boards with the hlg 240 or 4 with the 480 driver.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Thank you for correcting me. I was only certain about the B version.

• Like Like x 1

14. I have the 54a and it has a built in dimmer for both volts and amps. You can dim either.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Really? 480h-54a? I have like 10 and none of them have a dimmer.

16. Well damn I'm wrong. I guess all mine are 54b.

17. "A" says built in potentiometer. Are you sure you don't just have the plain old 54? [​IMG]

18. You didn't notice the extra leads? lol

19. What size space are you trying to light up?

20. The whole area of my basement that will be used for growing is 26X16. So, I’m figuring that (eventually) I’ll have approx. 10X16 for Veg, and 16X16 for Flower. But the operation won’t be that big until I sign up a few more patients (Medical Grow in Michigan). I have some seeds on the way, and am going to be starting out either 12 or 24 in the next week or two. I’m just trying to get started - set up for the Veg cycle. I’ll work on the Flower room while these are coming along. I’d really like to build a set up using 4 of those QB288 V1 Boards to start out the Veg cycle. So, there’s apparently a Driver that will suffice that’s not listed? I looked and noticed that. I don’t know if I need dimming, or not, yet. I’ll have to research that.