LED Grow Lights

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by hottrageous, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Anybody have any experience with growing with LED lights? Some reviews say they are great, some say they don't work. They are really expensive, but are supposed to save a lot on electricity.
    What say you guys? Anybody using them?

2. I dont have LEDs, but there are some really good grow lights out there.
    If you have the money, and are willing to buy some, do it. Youll save money in the long run :)

3. Check out my grow link in my signature. 135W Lighthouse Hydro Blackstar UFO.

4. imo the only one's worth getting are waaay outta my budget. hell, outta most people's budgets. you can find ones but ur better off with the tried and true HID.

5. #5 tylerm428, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013

The guys who say they don't work bought cheap fixtures.  There is a lot of false and misleading advertising out there.   If you buy a cheap LED fixture you'll be disappointed and claim they don't work.   If you buy an expensive one I think you'll be happy(and broke) so long as you have reasonable expectations.  IE:  Don't expect a 200W LED lamp to perform as well as a 600W HPS or something.

6. my opinion on leds are that they are going to work for you, you just have to find the right spectrum of light for them to thrive perfectly as the would under the sun naturally. as far as i can tell in the southeast, online is the only way to get them. lowes has them but they arent the exact kelvin unit that you need. compared to all the data ive studied, all wattage and lux lingo aside, you need 2700k for flowering and 5700k for vegging. they arent THAT expensive if you dont mind the "return" over time. i got as close as possible to the spectrum with them at 3000k and 5000k as i could at the time and ended up paying around 70 dollars for them along with the lamps.

------all cyber followers, youre gay, none is this shit is real. we dont really grow cannabis, its hypothetical and a great time waster. leave me alone. thanks:)

7. I am looking into leds as well. Specifically the 357magnum plus. Im in a toss up between led or 600. I am renting so led would be a little more stealthy, cost efficient. Cons: don't produce dense bud.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. I'm looking at LED grow light myself. I'm possibly considering buying the Kind LED grow light since California Solar storm LED 800w is out of my budget. You can find all the LED lights on Growershouse.com but I suggest contacting the U.S. manufacturer directly to see if they would be willing to give you any further discount depending upon how many lights you purchase. Most of the LEDs offered on Alibaba are dual spectrum and may not have the right light spectrum needed for vegging and flowering even though they're marketed as 3W.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. No problems with bud density under a ProGrow PG180. There's actually two types of Anti-Led advocate.  There's "I bought a cheap light and it was crap, ergo leds are crap"  and there's "The plant behaves slightly differently under led, ergo leds are crap".

LEDs at our end of the market do not cover the area that HID lighting does, and no not equate to the equivalents that the advertisers claim, but if you get a good light, learn the limits of your light and work with it, they can & do grow excellent weed.  If you're used to growing under HID it's a big culture shock, because the plants and your grow space will behave differently, and you can get some interesting deficiencies if you're in the habit of growing a certain way.

I've got a PG180 and have just lashed out on a Vipar V450.  Only issues with MY garden are derived from me being shite at gardening.

Another common worry is that if you buy from China you'll get bad lights, but in fact the vast majority of LED grow lights are made in China, both the good ones and the pieces of crap that are also being sold to unsuspecting stoners. Many US suppliers are re-selling Chinese lights,

Check that the company uses quality diodes, and that they publish the frequencies of the spectrums their lights operate in. Then it's down to size & price. 

If you're looking for yield they perform better for scrog than sog, imo.  Hope that helps  :smoke:

10. I use a 150w LED and absolutely love it. Lower electric bill, small in size, produces significantly less heat, and you can keep the light much closer to the tops of the plants so its better for stealth grows. I only have 1 grow under my belt with it, but it produces great results with beautiful buds. It obviously doesnt compare to a 600w+ HPS, but for all the benefits it provides im sold, and will continue to use LED for my future grows.