Led flood lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by icedweed, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Hi I have quick question would a 6000k flood light work well for a propagation box just to veg for 2 weeks?

Would I need to change the cob chip to a grow light cob chip or would the 6000k cool white be better for vegging? Screenshot_2018-04-26-01-56-28.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. This is what a full spectrum cob chip looks like. It's like a purple like the red blue lights however I don't know if I will need it or not because I think the 6000k cool white chip already in the flood light will be perfect for vegging? Screenshot_2018-04-26-02-04-02.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. 6k is a pretty good K range for veg. Most "grow light" leds that are used these days were not manufactured specifically to grow plants. They were made to replace fluorescent and MH/HPS lighting in commercial buildings.

They just happen to grow plants well.

In order to answer your question I would need to know the efficiency of output of the light and wattage along with what size space you want to cover with it.

I've been hearing for years that one of the better hacker led grow lights around are the high bay led replacement lights for warehouses. There's so many good choices in the actual grow light market for the price I haven't messed with it but I have heard good things about lights like these. I think they're both 5k which IMO is more ideal then 6k.
    www.amazon.com/BAT-Equivalent-Warehouse-Industrial-Commercial/dp/B0749JLVF8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1524706620&sr=8-6&keywords=high+bay+led+shop+lights
    [​IMG]
    www.amazon.com/dp/B0762TPQ2F?aaxitk=yUX5soxcPGAqP-Haxohuvg&pd_rd_i=B0762TPQ2F&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3534726502&pd_rd_wg=V6uN0&pf_rd_r=T2Q5QZDT4SV8K51DBTWK&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=EiSio&pf_rd_i=high+bay+led+shop+lights&pd_rd_r=fd4b9edc-6312-4d31-b9e5-4e322570e51b&hsa_cr_id=7059365000801
    [​IMG]

You can take your chances with it. It takes very little power to veg well. I've vegged successfully in a 4x4 with as low as 11 watts per square foot. It can be done.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I feel a little stupid asking if it would work or not but thanks a bunch t bone.

I'm gonna go with a lighting too
    I'll use 3 of these 12w ufo so...36w in a vegging pc case for 2 weeks. bulbs Screenshot_2018-04-26-06-11-37.jpg Screenshot_2018-04-26-06-11-41.jpg

If I got 3 bulbs would I need 3 lamp leads. Like this?

Screenshot_2018-04-26-06-14-31.jpg

5. Look on Ali and you'll find these things with a genuine 50w

And you'll need to rig up separate lampholders because they're too big to fit into a splitter.

6. Alrigjt thanks bro

I want 3 x 12w of those ufo bulbs I found.

So will I be able to wire 3 lamp holders to one plug socket? I'm not good with electrics I think I can...

Or will I need 3 of these?

Screenshot_2018-04-26-06-14-31.jpg

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. You can take the cable from the plug to a small joint box and then run your three lampholders off from there.

Simple enough, the flex cables will all have the same colours so all browns together, all blues together, no need for an earth if you use plastic lampholders. You'll pick everything up in your local B&Q or whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I was looking for something similar a few weeks ago and came across this company that makes a small 8X8 flood light into a grow light. they have a few spectrums to chose from. I didn't want any of the spectrums they had, so i emailed them and asked if it was available in any other spectrums and they said they could put some 5k or 6.5k leds in it, so I went with the 5k's. This is the light. The BOOSTER Series Grow Lights

9. I thought that's what I'd have to do thanks so much appreciate the help if I'm gonna end up doing some wiring I might go with those floodlights then I was just a little paranoid about wiring myself but I'll find some articles on the net and probably use those plastic blocks to connect wires.

10. Nothing wrong with being a bit scared of doing leccy work, after having the joys of repairing what was left after someone thought he knew what he doing on numerous occasions I honestly wish more people were like you in that respect.

• Like Like x 1
  11. A hundred bucks for a 30w flood?

You've just paid at least twice, and likely three or four times, as much as you would have for the same 29w 5000k flood on Amazon, EBay, etc. I bet even the likes of Lowes would have been half the price that thing is...

12. Apparently the flood lights on ebay ate less actual watts at the socket I just watched a YouTube video they are all like about 60 percent of what they actually say so the 20w is actually like 13w......the 10w was like 3 or 4w. But hey ho....more economical for me. I'll probably buy 4 of the 10w flood lights for the pc case and I'll be vegging like 4 plants at a time for 2 weeks before I put them in the greenhouse.

Peace

13. Here guys this is the YouTube video I watched about the actual watt testing on the led flood lights on ebay.

I'm not really bothered though guys like I said more economical for me.

14. Apparently you misunderstood me as I was talking real watts from the wall in all cases and you're talking about spending, according to the link you posted, 100 bucks for a 29w flood which can be bought for considerably less money elsewhere

15. like IceWeed mentioned, the flood lights you can get from china or ebay are usually way over rated. I bought 4 200w food lights originally and they only pulled 27 watts from the wall, that's only 14% of what they were said to output. talk about over rated! I was pissed!! I contacted the company and they basically they make it so hard to return them that its not worth the money to actually return them! so i'm basically stuck these pos's just sitting in a bin in my garage.

16. Everything Chinese that looks too good to be true usually us but like I said if I get 4 10w that fit pc case I'll be happy that would certainly be enough to grow to start with. 4 x10w I'd expect it to pull 40w but I'm guessing it's only gonna pull 20w

17. Do you REALLY think his $100 flood is any different? It isn't and, as I said, I was talking REAL watts and not EQUIVALENT watts.

I shouldn't have to repeat that a third time

18. Then go CFL or LED replacement for inside a PC case, you'll have more space, plenty light and less heat issues as these floods are not designed to be in enclosed spaces, they rely on the cooler outside air to dissipate the heat.

19. #20 Edibledimensions, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    It is very different! I have it, and it pulls 29-30w on the same meter in my above photos, it's made with a mean-well driver and semiled 3w leds running at 1050ma. after talking to them i found out that the only thing that is common with the Chinese lights is the housing, and they are assembled and tested in the U.S