led experts needed!!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Bweezy101, Feb 17, 2019.

1. I have a question about led lighting. Is more ir and uv lights better ?
    I'm looking at these two lights and really would like some feedback on whether i need the one with 4 ir and 4 uv or the one with less? Any comments will help!

Attached Files:

2. Well u need to figure out if the lights have enough power for what u wanna grow first. Says 1200 watts but isn't no where near that. But on the ir uv side. U can have it, I do on mine the ir anyway. No if on mine . uv remember gives u cancer and can kill your eyes with to much exposure. So that part is on u. U don't have to have uv in a light to grow a plant . [​IMG]

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks for ypur feedback and yea I understand the actual wattage and the advertised thats honesty why I'm getting these for but really didnt know about the ir and uv and didnt know if more is better or worse for growing.

4. Some people use it. But its not necessary to grow quality bud.

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

5. Many of us have been growing with leds for going on 4 years now. We all started off with or have seen those cheap amazon panels. Do me a favor and go through GC's indoor gardens. Show me how many of the amazing ones using leds have a similar panel style amazon led setup in bloom.

If you want real advise you're in the right place.

Tell use what size area you want to grow in. Square footage, headroom, if it's veg and bloom in one space or separate, ect.

I'm been LED shopping as a hobby for years now. I can recommend several setups that actually use the best parts you can find. Not unknown diodes and drivers like these cheap panels.

Don't concern yourself with IR and UV. That will come later. Most lights have a small amount. UV generally has negative growth effects on a plant but can promote potency. It's a trade off. Too much UV and they will suffer. IR is not something you see a lot of. It's very good at heating up a plant's leaf surface. Another name for an IR light is a heat lamp.

You just want a well put together full spectrum light. You can later add supplementals like far red and uv to experiment with but get a good base setup first.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Save your money B, get either a HID system, or QB boards. The QB seem to be the thing right now, and so far I like them. It's my first run with em' and I'm 12 days into the flip. If they have to power to fill the buds, then I'll switch from HPS. I know for sure in about 50 more days

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gimmick to sell u leds

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Ir and uv can both be good when applied correctly but to put it all in one led is just hype to raise the price. Now if each had dedicated switches then ugh could be useful. But rly how good is the quality

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Or_Gro in the lighting section is breaking 2g/watt with his setups. If you have the skill and the time that seems to be around what the Jedi growers are getting. I'm more lazy mode so I average around 1.5g/watt range with the qb's.

I can't wait to get my new Invisible Sun samsung 301b boards up when my drivers come in this week. I don't have any of those diodes right now. Mine are all the LM561c's or the nichias in the qb96's. The 301b's are higher efficiency and my other invisible sun boards run very cool compared to even qb's. I'm also going to have a dimmer in my veg area now which will be nice since I sprung for a meanwell hlg-150h-30a in there for half the lights.

10. Between the two I'd take the one with IR and UV. I noticed an increase in potency and overall trich production with added uv. I wouldn't worry about overdoing it. I run 10w of uv with each of my 150w lights all the way through flower. The IR is supposed to help keep mold down by putting some heat to the flowers. Not too sure I buy into this idea tho.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

11. Dang ..seems everyone has different views..to answer some questions I'm looking to run preputial grow with 4 plants due to state restrictions lol..i have a 2x4x5 or 6 tent and a 3x3 x5or6 tent also and running soil with subcools recipe and foxfarms. Really been just outdoor grower but looking to indoor. I'm looking at philzon 1200watt led and yes I know its not the real wall draw which is 300 id say with both switchs on. I was looking to buy 3 of them with 2 in the 2x4 and 1 in the 3x3 and use the 3x3 for flower and the 2x4 for veg but really super lost! I see 100wat cree cobs that look nice and viperscrepta 450 but seen blue shows more not sure it it would be idea for flowering and have around 450$ to spend give or take 50$ , may do scrog also with diy buckets . so any info would be nice and really appreciate everyone's feedback!! Anything I missed just let me know and ill try to clear it up!

12. They both have the ir and uv but one has 4 ir and 4 if the other one has less. Which would you choose?

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'd probably take the one with more. That said, I'd look into other light options too. I have an old light like that, 11 bands of spectrum. Works well, kinda has a small footprint tho.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I am with everyone else
    I started with the cheap (45w real draw)burple lights and got what I paid for (not much)
    I upgraded to samsung 120 QBs and love them
    I run 2 of the samsung boards and 1 of the burples over eac bloom area
    I moved the burples over to my veg area and they do just fine there and cut back on power compared to my 450w t5 i had DOnt waste your time listen to everyone

15. Ok thanks ..ill check that Samsung board out

16. there are a lot of them out there - HLG has good ones - I got mine on alibaba from Alwen Peng at BAVA - great experience and cheap - 8 boards delivered for 418.00 us with drivers and hangers
    Just remember for VEG 4000-5000K - for bloom 2000 - 3500K

• Like Like x 1
  17. You ever use cree cob cxb3590 ...ive been looking at them also..so many lights to choose from..really overwhelming

18. I have a friend who uses COBs and QBs and says he does not see much of a difference except in heat output - light output is about the same according to him.
    I did months of research and decided on QBs for cost and light output - biggest bang for the buck..
    the ones I chose have no heat sink, and use very little wattage but give great light output - they are the same basic boards the companies like HLG use......
    and keep in mind things change every day in the lighting field it seems

• Like Like x 1
  19. IR helps plants go in to dark period cycle quicker but the IR only needs to be a few minutes before turn off. Heat falls in to IR range so I wouldn't worry about spending energy on it unless you have a secondary circuit. UV helps but I hate using it because it damages everything in your room and is bad to look at. Also the CBLs look weak. But I'd pick the UV/IR out of the two. I'm sure some of these other peeps will help you pick something else too.

20. i used a mars pro 160 for a few years in a shower recess 800x800mm, that was 'ok' but noisy and expensive , 353 watts at the wall .
    now i've got an HLG 260 , two 288 301b boards + ELG 240 C2100 driver that draws 233 watts at the wall, and i reckon it does a better job so far
    i also bought two 288 301b boards and heatsink from Mieju on alibaba and a meanwell driver in oz , these boards seem to compare ok to the hlg but time will tell .