LED distance question.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by VTX1800, Sep 13, 2016.

1. been a while since I've been here.
    I have a 2.5X2.5x5 ft tent, with a 400w LED full spec light. I keep it 18" from the tops of the plants as recommended by the mfg. but I want to add 4 100w (14w) 5000k, 1500LM individual bulbs in reflectors, to the set up. The new bulbs seem to be much cooler than the 400w unit and I would like to know if I can put the 100w LEDs closer to the plants without burning them.
    For years I used 100w CFLs only inches from the plants and had great result, but they were hot so I switched to the LEDs.
    Thanks for any answers,
    G

2. it will have max light at an 18 inch foot print. Lowering it won't hurt the plants, but the plants out side whatever that 18 inch footprint is won't get max light. otherwise, I'm not so sure that led bleaching isn't just another pothead myth. But I have no proof, just anecdotal experience. My Blackdog 200 is about 4 inches from my tallest bud. When I first switched to led my leaves started turning brown. I thought the light was too close or something. I also switched to airpots at the same time. I suspect either airpots or leds dry plants out faster and make nutrient uptake more efficient. I backed way off on the fertilizer and gradually experimented with light distance. I can go very low with led. Especially those itty bitty ones you are talking about.

3. I have a Roleadro 300W full spec light, hang it about 22inch for young plants and drop it to about 16 inches for flower. My plants goes well, they love it.

4. Hi guys, thanks for the reply. I did some independent research after posting here on a site that has everything you would ever want to know about growing. I for got about them, here's the URLs.
    The Dance of the Flowering Cycle | Grow Weed Easy
    This is just one of the pages there just do a search.
    Anyway, I've done some tests with my lumen meter and at 18" my plants are seeing 23000 LMs from the main led and 13000 from the 100w LEDs I have in reflectors. This is what I would call a bare minumom to grow plants with.
    I have them outside during the day so I'm sure that has made it possible to have the beautiful healthy lush, plants I have. Now the 12/12 is coming up, I will leave them out all the time.
    Thank again,
    G