LED Christmas Lights for Growing

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by DCrist721, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Well, I was jokingly around and thought of dressing up my cannabis plant with lights for a christmas picture, when the idea came to me, of using LED Christmas lights as supplements for growing.

To me, it seems like the perfect solution. Once your plant is large enough, You get a string of blue and a string of red, and you wind them down your plant, so that the plant gets the light evenly and the inside, normally darker areas of the plant get light. They're cheap and the only setup is plugging them into the wall.

My only question is when it comes to LED's are there different kinds; could these possibly not be effective for growing? Otherwise I don't know why everyone isn't dressing up their "trees" with christmas lights year round.

I decked the halls and I decked my girl out out; Happy Holidays All:

[​IMG]

2. Normal Christmas lights aren't LED they are incandescent bulbs. For the cost and electricity you should get some more CFLs.

3. They make LED Christmas lights however:
    http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/categorydetail.asp?CategoryID=735
    Just one example site, tons of others carry them as well. They're like 90% more cost effecient than incandescent christmas lights.

4. I think the problem with the LEDs will be the light-spectrum they put out. Not sure so I won't be offended if anyone corrects me.

5. Thats kind of what my question was asking. I asked if this might be a different variety of LEDs that wouldn't work out for growing. For instance if red LEDs are produced all on the same level of the spectrum.

6. Dude that is a kick ass question thats an awesome idea, man seriously if this ends up working out with the LED lights that they do advertise on tv i'm buying a set man

7. 2 things i think of.

the lights arent red or blue, they are lights covered with that color plastic.

also the lumen put out doesnt seem like it would be enough to do anything at all.

i hope it works tho cause ill dress my girls up pretty well!

8. i bought some led xmas lights for under my LST screen and they are red not just the casing they are actually red,i cant say they help that much but you can put them directly against plants without burning them, plus its just festive so do it anyway lol

9. a seasoned grower on another site was experimenting w/red+blue holiday lites. if they work at all, i'd pay way more than they cost 4 the flexability. the spendy led growlites come in big rounds,big squares,or single $160 ministrips that look pretty weak.
    that was last summer,was looking around before settling in the city:D
    i'll see if i can find her,+ come back if i dont get lost

10. Im still curious about this. Anybody with an answer?

11. I seem to recall that in another LED thread there were reports of amber LED lights stressing a plant into becoming a hermaphrodite. If I were going to experiment with this, I would make sure I used only red or blue lights.

12. The warm white string of 50 they sell probably would be good for flowering, at 2200K. Too bad it's $40 before shipping. The soft white I think would be too much at 3500K, though it's cheaper. The super red one, which is $20, probably wouldn't work. Might be fun to give each bud a few of her own little LED friends. Lumen output is supposed to be highest right at the source, and it's not hot.

http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/LEDSTRING15/

13. in order to achieve a full spectrum led system for optimal growth you need red, yellow, orange, blue, and ultraviolet leds set up on a led light board just google search full spectrum led gowing for a ton of sites

14. Nope it's true but a lil aluminium foil mirror and well placed glued down glitter will help with that problem