Leaves turning yellow & brown, help!!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Jason10, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Hi, first time grower here! My plants started getting brown patches on them. These are getting bigger and now the leaves are starting to go yellow. They are only13 days old and new leaves are forming which look healthy but I'm worried about the larger ones. I'm using a propagation light and not used any fert yet. Anyone know what the problem is? Thanks in advance!

2. need to know a bit more mate..........what type of soil your using, where the brown patches are on the leaves, i.e. the tips/middle/bottom and as for propagation light, what wattage is it a fluro, and the distance you have it from the plant, ps a pic speaks a thousand words, can you get one?

sounds ike the browning is fert burn from too much natural ferts in the soil, sois such as miricle grow are notorious for this, the yellowing, depends is it the whole leaf?, or does it start at the back and work it's way forward, normally a yellowing leaf is the sign of a N defficency, but unusual at just 13 days old, hence why we need to know the soil and it's N-P-K atio if possible................Peace out...........Sid

3. Hi, thanks for the quick response. I am using a 2 x 55w floro lamp which is 3 inches from the tips of the plants. The soil is a soil-less compost with moss peat & nutrients (not sure of the ratio). The leaves seem to be turning yellow from the tips. I've not done a ph test yet. I cant seem to upload photos as the files are too large. Any help would be appreciated!

4. Hey Jason,

As for the ratio of the nutrients, if the stuff you have is store bought, look on the back of the package and somewhere around where it has the ingredients listed, it'll have what looks like a list of %'s.....right above that, it'll have the ratio....just says #-#-#. And as for the pictures, if you have AIM you can send them to me and i'll post them for you. My AIM screenname is hickensuhweets

5. if you send anything thru aim i just thought i'd remind everyone that anything said or transfered thru aim is aol's property and they are logging everything. just another paranoid grower... lol

6. yellow/brown is nitrogen

brown spots [or bugs!] only, it could be lacking copper but don't stress that...

First rule of Yellow is nitrogen! Also check PH could be off...lime as needed.

Flowers-Of-Truth

7. i saw a video and it said when the leaves are yellow/brown it means that all the nutrient is going into he bud...could be wrong just sayin what i saw

8. Thanks all, I'll get the hang of this eventually! I'll try some more feed on them.

Incidentally how many people get the growing right first time, I think the compost I used was crap, a bit disheartening when they've been growing for 4 weeks! They seem to be stretching and not growing outwards and the stems are very flimsy.

9. i think its dieing

10. the better the lights the better the weed.........it gives it a strong stem and grows the best plants possible other than mother nature herself............Peace out...........Sid

11. This is correct to an extent. I've seen that same video. The leaves do yellow when they are nearing the end of flowering. The plant is using up all its stored nutrients to finish the buds.

Jason:

Get an oscillating fan to strengthen the stems as well. This simulates wind, and the plant naturally puts more energy into strengthening its stem.

They are 4 weeks old, and what size pots are they in? Are they rootbound?
    You can tell if they are rootbound if the roots are coming out the bottom of the pot.

12. 3" pots at the moment. Just movin them to 5"

13. inches or gallons, as a 5" pot is small...........across the top about 8-12".......Peace out..........Sid

14. Yeah 5 inch pots they're in now. When I transferred them the roots were growing around the soil inside the pot. I take it that's normal? But no roots growing out of he bottoms of the pots so I thought 5 inch would be big enough!

What do you think?