Leaves Canoe-ing. Magnesium def?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by beerbrewer, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Tell me what you think guys. Think I need to spray um with some Epsom salts.

Plants are under 1k watt HPS. Lights are about 24" from canopy. Organic soil. Fans blowing on tops.

Attached Files:

2. #2 tenshuu, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
  3. Deficiencies are so difficult to diagnose because there are so many factors involved. Heat stress would be my first thought. If it is some sort of nutrient deficiency, then I wouldn't try to single out 1 single nutrient (like Magnesium) and then try to correct it by high-dosing with a foliar spray. Chances are that will fuck them up more. In organics, you build the soil with all of the nutrients up front. Any problems with nutrient deficiencies are caused by problems in the nutrient cycling process. NOT because those nutrients are not already present in your soil. Adding more "nutes" ain't gonna fix the problem.

My solution to any and all problems is to topdress with worm castings or make a worm casting slurry. If you have kelp meal, you could mix some of that into your slurry too.

TJ

4. Epsom salts belong in footbaths. IMO.

TJ

5. Could be wind stress. Fans are on high. Doubt it's heat but again, could be. I raised the lights up to the ceiling a minute ago.

Yeah I have ewc. And kelp. I highly doubt my soil is missing anything. It has EVERYTHING in it. And I am not lying about that.

6. What are the temps in there?

Sent from my MB886 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Then what makes you think that you need more magnesium? I topdress with ewc and kelp all the time even though it is already in my soil.

nutrient cycling and availability

TJ

8. Right now it's 78.9 degrees

9. This chart. I have been researching the shit out of this and this is the best I have found. I don't like to just ask a question on here until I have exhausted every available resource. I just gave them a kelp alfalfa earthworm castings tea. They have been doing this for a while now but lately it has gotten really bad.

Attached Files:

10. How long ago did you do that? Usually when I topdress with ewc/kelp it takes a week or two before I really notice big improvements. It's not an instantaneous fix by any means. Also helps a lot if you are using high quality, freshly harvested ewc. Btw, I apologize if my comments came off confrontational before.

IMO, ewc "tea" is not equivalent to a topdressing. Using 1 cup ewc in 5 gallons of water or something like that is not nearly as effective as topdressing your pots with 1/2-1" ewc IME. My experiences with ACT make me question whether this practice is effective at all.

Kelp tea, however is a different subject and is super effective. Have yet to try alfalfa tea myself.

TJ

11. Maybe Wednesday? Tuesday or Weds. Gave them a molasses worm poop tea last week.

It's all good. I ain't no newbie at this lol. Magnesium def or nutrient lockout or windburn or light burn was what I was researching. Going into this I knew what the symptoms 'said' that I was dealing with. I'm not just guessing.

12. So I backed my lights WAY off. Like 3 ft from the top of the canopy. The Nor Cal warmth was keeping the room around 76-80 degrees but I tested the sensor under the lights at 18" and the temp shot up to 85. So hopefully with this cooling spell coming in and the fact I flipped the girls should help stabilize canopy temps into the mid 70s. Right now at 3 ft from top it is holding at 78 degrees.

13. Put a fan on your light, a cheapo aadjustable floor fan will do in a fix. Adjust it slightly upward at the lightto push heat through, up and away from the hood.. An aircooled hood would be ideal.

14. They are aircooled. 2 hoods. 1k watt each. Xtra sun 6" air cooled hoods. It's just warm in cali. It'll cool down soon.

15. Here ya go.

Attached Files:

16. Heat stress imho.

17. Stupid question, but do you have the glass installed on those hoods? Curious what your ventilation set up is.

18. Yeah sure do. Set up is 1k light ---> 1k light ---> fan ---> vent to rafters where the clone room is set up ---> carbon filter ---> inline fan ---> roof turbine. It's a sweet setup. Lemme throw up some pics...forgive the sideways pic. Don't know what happened there.

Attached Files:

19. These pics were all taken about 3 weeks ago or so.

20. I agree. Fucking 91 today in Sac. It's mid fucking October. When my lights come on at 7 it's still prolly 80 degrees outside.