Leaf Claw but I'm not feeding Nutes!? What do!?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by berntbro, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Can someone please tell me what is going wrong with this girl !? First time grower. I've done some troubleshooting but I can't seem to fix the problem.

Symptoms: The Claw, Rusty brown spots, Leaves are like dry?? its hard to describe

Medium: Fox Farm Ocean Forest (straight out the bag, didn't add a thing)

Water: Ph'd to 6.5ish add tsp Cal-Mag
    (starting adding cal-mag and ph'ing about a month ago when I first starting noticing burnt tips)

Strain: Northern Lights

More info: I think at least some of the issues have been related to being root bound. I have recently re-potted them both.

Also, I just flipped these girls into flower (for better or for worse) tell me if you guys think they'lll make it and if so how much weight I can pull of these beauties. Also, I'm riding that 85 degree F line for flower pretty hard. How bad will my bud suffer if I'm in the 85-90 range for maybe 30-40% of the time (worst case scenario hopefully)

Thanks for your help everyone and stay safe!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. In my opinion, what it is suffering from would be either a lack of calcium or potassium, or both.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Potassium? Okay, I can start adding some micro. It probably can't hurt.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'm a new grower too and this will be my second time, but my first time was a complete success and I found out that potash deficiency and calcium/mag deficiency are the most common cause of these issues.

5. What medium did you use?

• Like Like x 1
  6. I use coco coir/perlite mix 60/40 with general hydroponics Flora series, Calmag, PH up/down.

7. Yea I think I almost would have been better going with coco instead of soil. Then I wouldn't have to guess how much nutes my medium is feeding my plants vs how much I should feed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 10000% Agree with your thinking. I thought the exact same way, got too scared to grow in soil because of too many unknowns. Growweedeasy has REALLY GOOD guides on how to grow in a variety of mediums, they are solid and who I go to for info. Coco is more forgiving and you can fix problems far quicker than in soil. You'll get it right! Good luck and if you have any questions, shoot me a message if need be.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yea I was going to follow the GrowWeedEasy Coco guide to the T. But when I saw that my local shop finally bought some decent soil, I just went with it. I don't regret it. I would like to know how to grow in a bunch of mediums so this is just a learning experience.

Thanks man! I'll hit you up.

If you want to follow these girls I got a thread for them: Danny and Legs: Start Date: 2/1/20

I try to update it once a week. If you have a grow going I'll follow yours too just send me a link. Or send me a link to your last grow if you recorded it. Peace.

• Like Like x 1
  10. this ......Medium: Fox Farm Ocean Forest (straight out the bag, didn't add a thing)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Lol what?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I have heard many great things about Fox Farm Ocean Forest and that literally was going to be what I grew in first, BUT, like I stated before about unknown contaminates, a lot of people complained that their soil came with bugs/worms/etc that ruined their crop. That's why I shy'd away from em.

13. If you let the soil sit in boiling hot water for a while you can sterilize the soil at home. I didn't do it and I know I have some amount of bugs in the soil but I think they're not hurting. Just gnat flies and some ants that I think are gone now....hopefully.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Too much work to do that where I just have to rehydrate/rinse coco and i'm good. And some bacteria/spores will survive boiling. I would rather be safe then sorry. Plus coco is better for the roots and is resistant to things. That's why it's mixed with most soils. Like Bruce Lee said, Do whatever works. Or something like that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I feel you dude. I would like to go DWC but I'm worried about the electricity going out and my crop dying. My electricity is shoddy and a blackout (while not ideal) in soil would be much easier to come back from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. #16 old shol4evr, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    delete

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Build your own soil and experience the easiest and cheapest way to grow. Learn about KNF to add to your routine, as well as an organic IPM regimen to keep pests and disease away. I loved my days in coco DTW and grew some great crops, but nothing with the terpenes I’m getting with Living Organic Soil. And the best part with large pots, I reuse the soil with just a little top dressing, adding some EWC, and growing red clover as a cover crop to fix nitrogen into the rootzone. Instead of feeding 2-3 times a day, I water once a week, maybe twice in flower.

Fox Farms is junk soil IMO, and if the plan is to feed bottled nutes, might as well grow in coco or just 100% perlite to get the best bang for your buck and less problems.

Let me know if you ever want to make the switch to No Till/ Living Organic Soil

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. You brought up a really great point about Terpenes. Could this be the reason that towards the end of my grow, I still could barely get at all? It smelled citrus but that was it. I grew in coco/perlite mix

19. A slurry test can probably tell you whats wrong

• Like Like x 1
  20. You soak the soil in boiling water. Let it cool down and when it's cool again BADA-BING you got yourself some sterilized soil. Obviously you plant your clone/seed after this process, once the soil is at normal temperatures again. As for the other questions I answered most of them in the first post.