Leading Scientists Confirm That Cannabis Is Safe And Non-Addictive

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by gangeefried718, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Leading Scientists Confirm That Cannabis Is Safe And Non-Addictive

At a conference at GW Pharmaceutical's headquarters in Porton Down, Wiltshire, Professor H.P. Hartung, Chair of Neurology at Heinrich-Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany announced that Sativex, the super strong, concentrated cannabis medicine has “…limited relevant adverse effects and – particularly reassuring – the drug does not appear to lead to withdrawal effects if patients suddenly stop using it.”

Sativex is made from high-THC skunk cannabis blended with a high-CBD variety and concentrated into a super strength solution that can be used to treat MS , chronic pain and, scientists believe , many more previously unrelieved conditions.

Super strong, concentrated cannabis is safe. It's not addictive. It doesn't cause psychosis. There are virtually no side effects.

link to study

2. I think they are referring to just Sativex, the pharmaceutical form, not plant based and smoking. And being pharmaceutical, they probably wouldn't support smoking buds. Sure they're saying "super strong concentration" but that leaves room for people to argue against it's natural form. But still good.

3. There is no real difference between natural and synthetic cannabinoids.

4. sativex isnt synthesised in a lab its just concentrated plant i think

5. Sativa and ecstasy combined?

6. Sativex is hemp oil,,the same thing some dispensaries sell and is listed as a schedule 1 drug,,waiting for the dance when Sativex finishes ongoing FDA approval right now.

7. Its a tincture, not an extract. and its way overpriced. better to just make your own

8. Yeah Sativex comes from concentrated THC From two plants. Says it in the first post. Still, now that we know very concentrated THC doesn't cause withdrawal symptoms or negative side effects the government essentially has nothing since what we smoke has way less THC than Sativex :).

9. #9 Storm Crow, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
    There is no real difference between natural and synthetic cannabinoids.

There are a few "small" differences, hon!

For a start Marinol, a synthetic THC has KILLED! And not just once! :eek:

Deaths from Marijuana v. 17 FDA-Approved Drugs (report - 2009)
    Deaths from Marijuana v. 17 FDA-Approved Drugs - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

The FDA has written documentation that patients can overdose on Marinol and that it can be lethal
    (news - 2009)
    The FDA has written documentation that patients can overdose on Marinol and that it can be lethal - National Cannabis Revolution | Examiner.com

Cannabis protects your heart-

Marijuana Chemical Fights Hardened Arteries (news - 2005)
    Marijuana Chemical Fights Hardened Arteries

The synthetics may not!

Cardiotoxicity associated with the synthetic cannabinoid, K9, with laboratory confirmation. (abst – 2011) Cardiotoxicity associated with the synthetic ... [Am J Emerg Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

And then there is addictiveness-

Calling B.S. on the Idea of 'Marijuana Addiction' (news – 2008)
    Calling B.S. on the Idea of 'Marijuana Addiction' | Drugs | AlterNet

vs. -

Withdrawal Phenomena and Dependence Syndrome After the Consumption of "Spice Gold" (full - 2009)
    Withdrawal Phenomena and Dependence Syndrome After the Consumption of "Spice Gold"

Then there is the basic chemistry. Let's look at vitamin E as a common example. When nature makes vitamin E, all of the molecules spiral to the right. It is D alpha tocopherol- the "D" stands for "dexter" which means "right" or turning to the right" in my little dictionary. Our bodies "recognize" the right-spiraling vitamin E molecules and uses them.

Synthetic vitamin E is different. It is a mix of left and right spiraling molecules. Any clerk at a health food store can tell you that it simply does not work as well in our bodies! Some folks even get a mild rash from DL vitamin E if it is applied to their skin! Our bodies KNOW the difference!

The synthetics are the same way- nature never created them and our bodies have never had to deal with them in our thousands of years on this Earth!

Then there is WHERE they are made! You can bet your bottom dollar, that it was not in some nice clean US lab! The synthetics are often made in China, or other countries, where quality control is optional! :eek: If China can't even make legal products like milk without screwing it up (melamine), do you trust them to make a "gray market" product safely?

The synthetics are NOT the same as cannabis!

Stick with natural cannabis! :smoke:

Granny :wave:

10. At what point does our government admit that the chemical compounds that research shows to have medical applications are already in the safest delivery system it can possibly be.

Researchers have searched since 1974 for the cancer blocking and cancer curing chemical compounds found in cannabis and a way to synthesize them but cannot deliver it without it having dangerous side effects. Probably because our bodies recognize the real thing as Granny has said and rejects the synthesized compounds.

The chemical compounds pharmaceutical companies search for are already in cannabis,,,when do we just use what we got until science can figure it out instead of letting cancers run rabid at a 1 in 3 chance of contracting cancer in every Americans life.

Any chance God outsmarted science and made his plant perfect and UN-synthesizeable? :rolleyes:

11. Sativex is just an overpriced oral tincture...

It is actual derivatives of the plant though, not synthetic. I'd much rather grow my own medicine than pay 130 bucks for 50 doses (I heard that was the price)

12. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2gqoU2w_rY&playnext_from=TL&videos=vMRyMlCtxrI"]BBC Horizon: A Look At Medicinal Cannabis & Sativex UK (720p) - YouTube[/ame]

Sativex is hemp oil mixed with a carrier fluid,,waiting for the dance the DEA and NIDA have to do to legalize Sativex for medicine and keep hemp oil schedule 1.

They pulled off Marinol because the THC in Marinol is synthetic,,not the same claim in Sativex.

13. Duh, thats why these revelations are released after the manufactured product;)

Seriously tho, a better fitting title for this article would be ''DURRR!" :laughing:

14. false.

15. Can we vote for you to be president already?

16. Not yet, hon! Lol But my baby brother always said if I had decided to take over the US, I would be running things by now! I didn't want to....

I think I am just the leading edge of what is to come. All of you GC kids are getting one heck of an education with me, and others, pointing out things. By the time you guys are half my age, you will be doctors, lawyers, teachers and businessmen- and you will know the FACTS! And you will become these wonderfully compassionate, wise and educated old stoners! You will be like me in time!

All of you working together, or on your own, will change the world!

Granny

17. Yes, I agree that there are differences.

But synthetic drugs generally have more side effects than their original natural version. Not the other way around. So the argument that natural cannabis is worse than synthetic cannabis has no real legs to stand on. :wave:

With this new proof of no harm from the natural extract Sativex .....

How can the U.S. government continue its false propaganda machine running

I honestly believe that big changes are on the way regarding cannabis :hello:

18. WRT to the chemistry - it's true that the L and D isomers of a molecule can have very different effects on the body but you can synthesize the L isomer or the D isomer selectively. For many drugs on the market you have to synthesize one isomer selectively because the other is toxic or harmful to the body. Now with the proper chemical route you can synthesize basically any molecule. Every active chemical component in cannabis could be synthesized with the proper route. The only difference between the use of synthetic chemicals of cannabis and directly vaporizing/smoking the plant in its natural form is the plant has the entire array of cannbinoid chemicals, while the drugs these companies are coming out with only have individual chemicals in isolation. And I suspect that the cannibinoids act to counteract one another to the extent that taking them individually is much more dangerous than together because there's no stabilizing effect.

19. That's fucking inspirational

20. Well, now that we have confirmed that the psychoactive materials are safe and nonaddictive, we can easily argue the point that smoking it can't be illegal because smoking cigarettes is not illegal.